VA No. 111/2015
The Office of the United Nations World Food Programme in Syria is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the following post:
****Issuing Date****November 01, 2015
****Closing Date**** November 15, 2015
****Post Title**** Finance Assistant
****Duty Station**** Damascus
****Contract Type**** Service Contract
****Duration**** Six Months
****Duties and Responsibilities:****
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making.
- Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
- Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
- Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics.
- Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
- Perform administrative duties related to the monitoring and recording of fixed assets, spend on fuel and spare parts for vehicles and generators, to ensure that the databases are accurately updated.
- Maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
- Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience:Has experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders.
Language:Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
Knowledge: Experience utilizing computers including word processing, spreadsheet and other software packages.
Applications must be submitted online
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy please go to:
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Damascus
- Grade: N/A
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2015-11-15