Procurement and Contracts Officer (P3)
The incumbent is responsible for the procurement of goods and services within the delegated authority and under the guidance of the Head of Finance, he/she ensures compliance with WMU procurement policies and procedures and act as the focal point for all procurement related matters, including the preparation and follow-up of on-going contracts.
Within delegated authority, the Procurement and Contracts Officer will have the following duties:
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement and contractual aspects of the University’s need for purchasing of goods and services to support the activities of the University;
- The procurement of corporate goods and services, financial services and equipment;
- Provide advice on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stages of the procurement cycle and ensuring that the needs of the requisitioners are being met;
- Prepare solicitation processes, identifies method of solicitation and ensures that the process is in line with relevant rules and regulations;
- Implement the internal control system which ensures that procurement orders are duly prepared and dispatched in accordance with the relevant rules and procedures. Ensure timely corrective actions on procurement orders with budget check errors and other matters;
- Draft tender and contract documents and manage the contracting process. Ensure the documents drafted meet the needs of the internal stakeholders;
- Monitor the performance of contractors to ensure they meet the standards required by contract and the relevant rules and regulations of the University;
- Negotiate, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations;
- Ensure that the source selection process is fair, objective and transparent and that it follows the general principles as set forth in the Financial Rules and Regulations of the University;
- Prepare and distribute invitations to tender and manage/conduct all aspects of bid/proposal evaluations in line with relevant rules and procedures; Issue tenders and evaluate offers and make recommendations for the finalisation of purchases and the award of contracts following rules, procedures and regulations;
- Establish and maintain schedules for on-going contracts, manage on-going supplier contracts from a procurement perspective and maintain repositories of procurement documentation and supplier contracts;
- Support Management in the establishment and maintenance of partnerships and donor agreements and maintain an updated repository; and prepare reports on procurement activity;
- Maintain an inventory system for fixed assets, attractive items, articles of values and materials in hand, and lead the annual stocktaking;
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensure implementation of sourcing strategy and maintenance of procurement system master database with focus on the development and updating of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation;
- Participate in and conduct site inspections, bidder's conferences and contract negotiations;
- Keep abreast of market developments;
- Ensure compliance of purchase orders with the delegated authority to obligating officers; Undertake procurement on behalf of requisitioning officer in accordance with applicable rules and procedures;
Qualifications, competencies and professional experience
The successful candidate will have:
- First University degree in Public or Business Administration, Commerce, Law or other relevant related field is required.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field is desirable.
- Additional study or training in accounting or law, or a recognized certification in procurement is desirable.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, contract administration or logistics and supply chain management is required. Two years of experience directly related to first-hand procurement or contracting is required. First-hand experience in conducting procurement at the international level for an intergovernmental organisation(s), governmental organisation(s) or large multi-national organisation(s) is desirable. Procurement experience in within the UN system would be an asset.
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of working within an international organization or multinational corporation;
- Experience of working with local and international procurement laws, in particular European and Swedish rules on public procurement and research related procurement;
- Ability to operate in a discrete and confidential manner;
- Ability to draft and enforce policies and procedures;
- Good working knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex contract issues;
- Good negotiating skills to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors;
- Sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve issues/problems;
- An impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards is essential;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Ability to analyse the requirements and synthesize proposals;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- English: Fluent;
- Good knowledge of spoken and written Swedish is highly desirable.
- Expert skills in the use of Microsoft Office and Internet search engines;
The position offers an attractive salary (P-3 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Organization: WMU - World Maritime University
- Location: Malmö
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2015-12-03