Country Director Beirut, Lebanon
Danish Refugee Council is advertising for an experienced Country Director to lead and develop our largest country programme globally, which is operating in the center of a highly volatile and sensitive environment in one of today’s largest and most complex emergencies globally.
Who are we? Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading protection agency and has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa for over a decade, running a combination of livelihood, protection, advocacy and relief projects. The Lebanon programme in part of DRC regional MENA setup with offices in Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, Tunisia, Libya and Turkey.
DRC has been operational in Lebanon since 2005 and since 2011 mainly focused on the Lebanon response to the Syrian crisis with presence in the Beirut, Arkar, Tripoli, Baalbek, Zahle and Tyre. The DRC response is designed around 4 majors sectors: Food /NFI distribution, Protection, Shelter and Livelihood support. DRC is a leading protection agency in Lebanon in partnerships that include UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, DANIDA,ECHO, BPRM and DFID.
Roles and ResponsibilitiesThe Country Director will lead and manage DRCs operations to promote the most effective relief and protection solutions to the conflict and displacement affected population in Lebanon. The Country Director (CD) will have the overall responsibility for the management, programming, implementation and fundraising of DRC’s programme in Lebanon. More specifically, the Country Director will:
• Represent DRC within Lebanon to partners, donors and duty bearers, and to promote an optimal operational space for pursuing DRCs strategic priorities in coordination with all relevant stakeholders and duty bearers.
• Set the strategic direction of DRC operation in Lebanon in consultation with the Regional Director and in line with the corporate strategic direction and interests.
• Ensure that the programme is organized and managed in order to pursue opportunities while at the same time operating in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines.
• Responsible for the timely and efficient implementation, management and reporting on the resources entrusted DRC in Lebanon by our donors and partners.
• Overall responsible for risk management and accountability, and especially for the safety and duty of care for national and international staff.
The CD reports to DRC Regional MENA Director based in Amman. Due to the strategic and extraordinary circumstances around DRCs presence in Syria, the Country Director should expect to be in frequent contact with the senior management in HQ. Internally, the CD will head of country SMT and line manage the senior country staff. Externally, the CD will be the primary representative of DRC to partners, donors, beneficiaries and authorities.
Qualifications and profile To match the profile as Country Director in Lebanon you must have a university degree in international relations, management, human rights, social science or related field - together with minimum 7 years professional work experience within international humanitarian/development work preferably with an INGO. In addition you will also have:
• Good understanding of displacement issues of both internally displaced and refugees and related international standards/frameworks;
• Strong interpersonal and staff management skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders;
• Solid programme development experience is a given and that you are used to representing and networking.
• Excellent negotiation, advocacy and communication skills;
• Professional fluency in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
• Ability to live and work in an insecure and changing environment.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Terms and conditions Availability: As soon as possible
Duty station: Beirut, Lebanon with extensive in-country travel and some within the region
Contract: 2 years (renewable upon funding and performance). Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. The position will be placed at salary level A3.
Further information? For specific information as to the announcement, please contact the Christian Jacob Hansen, Head of Unit for Middle East and North Africa on +45 2889 3373 or Regional Director Peter Klansoe firstname.lastname@example.org. For general information about the DRC, please consult www.drc.dk.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html.
Application processAll applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV. We only accept online applications at www.drc.dk under Vacancies >current vacancies. Click on the vacancy then on ‘Apply’ at the bottom of the window. Applications close 7 December 2015.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please email@example.com
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2015-12-07