Chicago (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
Join Heartland Alliance International to support our innovative programs serving marginalized and vulnerable communities.
Summary: Heartland Alliance International (HAI) seeks a Communications Officer to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy. Applicants must be excellent written and oral communicators and have a demonstrated record of success coordinating marketing/outreach campaigns across web, print, and social media platforms. The ideal candidate has experience working on international development and human rights issues. The Communications Officer will help HAI engage with different communications, and grow as an organization through storytelling, marketing, PR, and social media initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Helps create and implement an integrated and innovative communications strategy that supports HAI’s evolving goals.
· Contributes to the design and content of the website, print publications, social media channels, original content, and other outlets that help HAI engage with relevant communities and supporters.
· Collaborates with HAI team members around the world to understand and support HAI’s diverse country offices and programs.
· Supports the creation of country-level communications and outreach plans.
· Coordinates and works with designers and other experts on developing compelling and effective visuals and communication assets relevant to the website, mass emails, social media posts, and select printed materials.
· Oversees the organization's brand identity and enforces its guideline to maintain consistency across initiatives, productions, and channels.
· Supports the development of case studies chronicling HAI’s successes and lessons learned
· Ensures strong coordination with HAI’s learning staff and Heartland Alliance’s Communications department to ensure proper external representation.
· Writes, edits, and designs HAI’s capacity statements, country and technical brochures, press releases, website, quarterly newsletter, and other external materials.
· Trains staff in Chicago and international offices on communications practices, company style, and branding, including reviewing materials developed by field offices.
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree or higher in communications, social sciences or related field, or commensurate work experience
· 3-5 years of experience in communications, design, storytelling or related fields.
· Excellent personal communication, presentation, and writing skills are a must.
· Documented experience in print, web, and social media management required.
· Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, or similar software.
· Experience with WordPress and interest in photography are a plus.
· Time Management – Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision.
· Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data
· Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively;
· Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
· Cultural Sensitivity – Respects cultural environment in which person is working and does not act in a manner that is outwardly offensive to the local community.
· Excellent oral and written English language communication skills
· Knowledge of French or Spanish preferred
· Demonstrated competency in public speaking
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems
To learn more about this position and to apply, please visit:
*Please note that we do not consider resumes sent by email, fax or postal mail.
- Organization: Heartland Alliance
- Location: Chicago (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2016-01-19