Health & Nutrition Technical Specialist
The Health and Nutrition Technical Specialist will work to contribute and improve the overall Health & Nutrition of the targeted Beneficiaries (Refugee Population) in Mahama Camp through provision of quality Comprehensive primary health care. The Health & Nutrition Specialist will work collaboratively with the SC Rwanda health team; Ministry of Health staff (Kirehe District) and partners to meet the needs of patients, promote healthy behaviors, strengthen health systems and improve access to basic health services. She/ He will work under the direct line management of Programme Development and Quality Manager and is also expected to work closely/coordinate with Health Technical Advisors (Backstop) HQ on technical matters/inputs.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Provide overall management / Technical support to the Health and Nutrition emergency programme by strategically leading the establishment and setting up of an integrated nutrition component in the current service delivery point in Mahama 2 Refugee Camp
• Review detailed implementation plans developed by the Health and Nutrition Coordinators and ensure quality standards in compliance with Save the Children strategies, donor guidelines and priorities;
• To lead in the coordination and preparation of quality and timely donor reports thus ensuring that these are of high quality (Reporting clearly on progress towards the outputs of the project as stated in the project proposal)
• Oversee the implementation of the agreed plan for health & Nutrition projects, from a quality perspective
• Contribute to programme development through taking the lead in the technical inputs of new project proposals and budgets;
• Work closely with the Emergency Education and Protection programme teams to ensure an integrated programme approach, identify ways of maximising links, sharing of experiences and lessons learnt.
Management of human and financial resources
• Assess/ review the health & nutrition project human resource needs when appropriate and participate in staff recruitment and performance review process as needed by the organisation;
• Contribute to the performance review of health staff.
• Ensure that staffing levels, management structures, and personnel processes are appropriate and effective to enable the implementation of the programme.
• Provide training, capacity building and technical support to Health & Nutrition staff and relevant ministry/partners
• Ensure Save the Children Child’s Protection and Safeguarding Children policies are understood, implemented and monitored and that it is integrated into all aspects of the team’s work.
• Review periodic financial forecasts prepared by Health and Nutrition Coordinator as required by Finance Teams
• Control and usage of Save the Children assets and funds and ensure the programme provides value for money.
Representation and coordination within the organization and other stakeholders:
• Engage with key Government Agencies and other stakeholders and duty-bearers at District level, in particular to support the implementation of the health & Nutrition programme in Mahama Refugee Camp
• Ensure an integrated and joined up approach to advocacy and programme work.
• Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of the health & nutrition programming in Rwanda including national policy development, key players in government, INGOs, UN and national/regional and local civil society organisation;.
• Represent Save the Children in various health & nutrition related fora, meetings and workshops at the Kigali and Kirehe District level/strengthen & maintain links with relevant co-ordination mechanisms.
• Ensure that regular and effective communications are maintained with Health Technical Advisors (both Regional & Member service) and other sectors within the organization for smooth program operations and implementation.
• In additional to the above listed responsibilities the Health & Nutrition specialist will also be responsible for any other duty deemed necessary by the Line Manager.
Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
• Work closely with the MEAL and operations teams to ensure that all projects related to health & nutrition have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
• Carry out reasonable field visits to document observations and experiences and share them with operation and technical teams and influence management action for technical improvement in projects.
• Work with MEAL team to carry out relevant studies and document and disseminate good practices in projects related to nutrition both in emergencies and development
• Lead robust nutrition data analysis for programming, knowledge sharing and advocacy helping health & nutrition programme in Rwanda Country Office to grow and be visible of its breakthrough impact.
• Incollaboration with other actors in Mahama Refugee Camp participate technically in periodic nutritional surveys conducted in the camp
• Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children health staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
• Qualified Health professional MD, Nurse (MPH preference) with at least five years of relevant experience preferably in primary health care service delivery in the context of emergencies
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
• Strong skills and experience in all aspects of programme development, including programme/project monitoring, review & evaluation.
• Substantial experience of developing working relations with government, UN agencies INGO partners community stakeholders and beneficiaries
• Fluency in written and spoken English and substantial experience in preparing projects proposals and reports to donors.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and commitment to capacity building of staff with proven skills as a trainer/facilitator and mentor.
• Demonstrate skills in resource and staff management/development and the implementation of appropriate policies, procedures, and systems
• Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
• Ability to be self-sufficient and resourceful.
• Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions.
• Computer skills e.g. Word, Power Point and Excel.
• Language skills: English – preferred language and French – added advantage
• An area of particular expertise within humanitarian health & Nutrition
• Experience of working on HIV /TB programmes in emergencies
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent to HR-Rwanda@savethechildren.org on or before 4th December 2015
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Kigali (Rwanda)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-12-04