Field Coordinator Liberia
*This position is deponent upon funding approval and is a 12 month assignment.*
JOB SUMMARY **
The Field Coordinator leads MTIs response in the one of the assigned Field Sites and is responsible for timely and high-quality program implementation and support. The Field Coordinator provides supervision and leadership to both program and operational staff at the field site, ensuring adherence to agreed work plans and reporting schedules as well as full compliance to MTIs policies in the areas of Finance, HR, Logistics and Information Management. The Field Coordinator works in close coordination with Program, Finance, HR Coordinator and Logistics Coordinators to ensure that programmatic and operational strategies are implemented at the field site.
The Field Coordinator reports to the Director of Operations and will be based in one of the assigned to a field offices with frequent travel to Monrovia.
Oversee the day-to-day implementation of all programs in the field site, coordinate closely with the local health authority in order to support the technical and logistical needs of to the County, supervise and support MTI programs in neighboring counties when necessary. The Field Coordinator will provide constructive supervision to implement, monitor and evaluate work plans and monitoring & evaluation mechanisms as agreed with the Program Manager. Lead the field-based teams in the development of new proposals and initiatives for field sites in accordance with the country program, strategic plan, and MTI program framework. Participate in the development of budgets for program proposals in conjunction with the Senior Management Team.
In close coordination with the Senior Management Team and the relevant Project Manager(s) lead field-level Program meetings. Review operational aspects of internal and external reports from the field site and ensure timely submission as required. Lead review of Budget vs. Actual expenditure on a monthly basis with staff, ensuring timely and accurate feedback to the relevant Project Manager(s) and the Senior Management, Finance and logistics departments. In collaboration with the Project Manager(s) address any over/under expenditure issues through jointly developed corrective plans.
Human Resource Management
Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
Ensure all staff in the field site know and understand MTIs Global and in-country HR Policies and MTIs Standards for professional Conduct. Document and address breaches of policy and disciplinary issues in coordination with the HR Coordinator in a professional manner and in line with the letter and spirit of the relevant policy. Ensure the Performance Management cycle is implemented and documented timely for all staff in the field site. Ensure feedback from technical coordinators is sought and incorporated in performance management cycles of project coordinators and leads of departments, including but not limited to technical performance and capacity building needs. Provide direct supervision to the field site's HR lead, ensuring recruitment, staff orientation, payroll preparation, leave management and exit management processes are carried out timely and in line with relevant policies and procedures. Ensure that staff have capacity development plans in place based on documented capacity needs assessments exercise. Work with the appropriate technical resource (for example the Project Coordinators) to achieve this Review and ensure timely submission of monthly HR reports from the field site as required.
Finance, Logistics and Information Management
In close coordination with the Finance department, lead the development and management of annual, comprehensive and inclusive field operating budgets. Ensure proper financial, logistics and information management systems and control mechanisms are in place and adhered to in line with the MTIs global and in-country finance and logistics policies. Provide supervision and leadership to the field site's finance and logistic assistances. Review and ensure timely submission of monthly and annual finance and logistics reports from the field site as required.
Act as MTIs Security Focal Point for the field site. Ensure all staff in the field site know and understand MTIs local security regulations; Document and address breaches of policy and disciplinary issues in coordination with the Security Advisor. Monitor the field area of operations security situation, attend security meetings and inform the Security Advisor, and SMT where appropriate, of developments through submission of accurate weekly and -where needed- ad-hoc security and incident reports. Participate in the review and update of the country Security Management Plan. Assist the Security Advisor in developing field specific Contingency Plans, Medevac, Evacuation Plans and SOPs. Assist the Security Advisor with developing training plans for staff and conducting trainings.
Representation and Coordination
Represent the MTI with local government authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at the field site level. Engage and or delegate to program staff for sector representation as appropriate. Represent MTI with beneficiaries and communities to encourage accountability to those we serve. Upon request by the Senior Management Team, organize and facilitate field visits for stakeholders interested in MTIs field response.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position Reports to: Director of Operations.
Position directly supervises: Project Technical Lead, Admin/Finance and logistics assistance in the field site.
Indirect Reporting: All field technical and operational staff. Direct supervisees have dotted lines to their Program/Technical Coordinators
Internal and/or external contacts:
Program Manager, Finance Manager, HR/Admin Manager, Logistics Manager.
Relevant other stakeholders e.g. NGOs UN bodies, local authorities, non-state actors
- Masters or other Professional Health degree such as MPH, or relevant experience in managing health projects along with degree in public administration, international relations, or other related field.
- Strong understanding of Project Cycle Management.
- Minimum of two years overseas professional experience in humanitarian response in conflict-affected areas.
- Solid experience in both expatriate and national staff management in a cross-cultural environment required.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with humanitarian and development programming and support (Budget management, finance, and logistics, human resources administration and information management).
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive situations diplomatically and possesses strong communication skills.
- Experience in working with and coordinating with local authorities, the UN, donors, INGOs and other stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills;
- Additional qualities: strong leadership and organizational skills, ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transitions.2 years aid and development work experience in a developing country; Africa experienced preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of ICT skills is required.
- Commitment to Medical Teams International mission statement.
- Must be able to exercise considerable initiative.
- Detail oriented with an ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and follow through on task.
- Ability to maintain and protect the confidentiality of job applicants.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; flexible.
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule and weekends as needed.
- Must have the ability to consistently communicate professionally and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
To learn more about this position and to apply please visit our website at www.medicalteams.org
- Organization: MTI - Medical Teams International
- Location: Monrovia (Liberia)
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-12-31