Lead Market Systems Analyst- Arab Women's Enterprise Fund (AWEF), Egypt
Objective of the Programme
The Arab Women’s Enterprise Fund (AWEF) is a £10mn programme which aims to address barriers to women’s economic inclusion in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. AWEF aims to increase economic opportunities and benefits for 150,000 poor women in the region and support women’s economic empowerment through a market development approach. The programme will be implemented over five years (2015-2020) in Palestine, Jordan and Egypt. AWEF is funded by DFID in partnership with the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) who will provide a further £10mn of support to the programme.
Scope of Work
The Lead Market Systems Analyst will be responsible for designing and implementing AWEF’s development of gender-responsive and women’s empowerment focused market systems analyses and implementation tools for market systems facilitation – the Lead Market Systems Analyst will facilitate the team of Market Systems and Intervention Design specialists to coordinate their technical expertise and ensure effective management and high quality input against programme targets. In the Implementation phase, the Lead Market Systems Analyst will work directly with beneficiaries and MFIs to deliver the interventions in line with the AWEF logframe, support monitoring and results measurement, and contribute to the Learning Hub.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Accountabilities and deliverables
- In the Inception phase: develop the Market System approach for the country in particular and contribution to AWEF programme overall
- In the Inception phase: Facilitate the market systems selection for their country and deliver market selection report at the end of the inception period
- In the Inception phase: Manage induction for Market Systems Analyst
Implementation: lead on ongoing identification and implementation of interventions to ensure women’s economic empowerment methodology is central to design and implementation
Implementation: work with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager to collect data for interventions and synthesise lessons learnt to contribute to the AWEF Learning Hub and overall programme objectives.
Implementation: contribute to quarterly and annual reporting and any other reports required for the programme
Programme Implementation & Reporting
- Conduct Market Systems Analysis in selected market systems that address the critical constraints in the respective value chains and present strategic interventions based on detailed firm and value chain financial analysis and value propositions.
- Design Intervention Plans and Concept Notes at the culmination of each market systems analysis to address the priority constraints.
- Work closely with the Market Systems and Intervention Design specialists and the Market System Analyst in the design and implementation of market interventions and roll out in conjunction with the other appropriate stakeholders.
- Develop a clear intervention justification (as per DAI format) for each intervention before it is approved.
- Ensure that the documentation required by AWEF at each stage of the project cycle is completed in an adequate and timely fashion and properly filed in the AWEF Management Information System (TAMIS).
- Assist in the implementation of programme interventions in selected market systems according to the logical framework, and manage the full investment project cycle activities.
- Facilitate the due diligence process for potential grantees as required and close the partnership agreements.
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager and the Results Measurement Expert to collect and analyse data, including gender disaggregated data.
- Ensure accurate, robust, and timely inputs to the AWEF Monitoring and Evaluation system, and record the activity in the Management Information System (TAMIS).
- Lead and manage the country specific intervention workplan and report on activity progress to the Country Director
- Provide accurate forecasts and budgets for interventions to the Finance and Operations Manager
- Lead on the delivery and synthesis of lessons learned, case studies and thought pieces from the country operations to the AWEF Learning Hub by working in collaboration with the Market Systems Analyst and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
- Conduct and participate in internal programme workshops and stakeholder workshops including preparation and delivery of specific inputs to these.
- Build and manage relationships with stakeholders, including local government, beneficiaries, and potential partners in the sector.
- Liaise with AWEF expert team (PEA expert, Gender Advisor, Value Chain Expert, M4P Expert) as required.
- Identify, contract and oversee the work of consultants, implementing partners and co-facilitators.
- Identify where capacity building is required by these partners, design and manage appropriate capacity building initiatives.
- Inception: lead in the development of the Programme Operations Manual and Market Selection report; assist in the development of the Inception Report.
- Assist in the development of quarterly and annual programme reports.
Relationship management and reporting
- The Lead Market Systems Analyst will report to the Country Director on the responsibilities outlined in role description and general guidance
- The Lead Market Systems Analyst will lead on the relationship with the MSA Market Systems / Intervention Design Expert
- The Lead Market Systems Analyst will provide guidance to Programme Associate for programme documentation and knowledge management
- Coordinate with other DAI programmes that are being implemented in the region – ensuring effective collaboration and efficiency of operations, collaboration of lessons learned and effective technical approaches
- Take responsibility for own continuous professional development by proactively identifying and participating in formal/informal learning opportunities
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director and Team Leader
Qualifications and experience
Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, social science or business administration or related field
Master’s degree preferred
Strong academic performance with advanced degree desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in working with women in market development interventions is essential and broad understanding of women’s economic empowerment issues.
- 10 years’ experience in relevant field in Egypt/Palestine/Jordan
- Strong understanding of donor requirements in the implementation of complex donor-funded projects
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential
- Strong understanding of access to finance development in MENA Region
- Knowledge of financial institution language and culture
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes
Understanding of Islamic Finance principles
Experience in capacity building for intended stakeholders
Knowledge of procurement processes for consultants and service providers
- Strong analytical and drafting skills with an excellent understanding of financial sector language and trends
- Proven and demonstrated strong negotiation skills in the areas of investment management
- A high level of written communication skills; being able to articulate and oversee others work
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret institutional budgets and financial data
- Making judgements and re-prioritising in the light of the strategic context and new strategic imperatives
- Manage complex multiple stakeholder imperatives Adaptability
- Strong time management, prioritisation and organisational skills
Programme Location: Egypt
Application deadline: 13th December 2015