Re-advertisement: Médecins Sans Frontières Spain – OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens) is looking for a Logistics Support Officer in Kenya
Re-advertisement: Médecins Sans Frontières Spain – OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens) is looking for a Logistics Support Officer in Kenya to be based in Nairobi, KENYA
Starting date: January 2016
Reporting to: Deputy RECO/TELOCO
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the cell 5.
The Logistics Support officer will ensure proper technical support to the mission, ensuring proper implementation of technical policies and good practices, in particular regarding Fleet Management, Energy, construction and Watsan.
The logistics support Officer will have greater responsibilities in the active research of logistics opportunities in NBO, leading innovation initiatives implementation in the missions.
The Logistics Support officer is a full member of the Operational cell based in Nairobi and as such s/he has direct operational accountability and output. The Logistics Support officer reports hierarchically and functionally to the Deputy RECO Teloco. S/he works closely with the Logistics coordinators, Deputy Logistics Coordinator and Technical managers in missions.
The position requires frequent travel to the field (up to 50% of the time at short notice).
1. Together with the Deputy RECO Teloco, provide technical support to field teams.
1.1. Collaborate with and give technical support to the teams in the field in all phases of the projects, regular and emergency programs.
1.2. Ensure that the Organisation’s Logistical and ITC principles, guidelines, and policies are implemented, as well as the recommendations mentioned in the different logistical evaluations. Identify report on and defend situations in which their implementation is not viable or may hinder the achievement of operational objectives.
1.3. Contribute to implementation of the annual operational plan in the projects within portfolio, according to Logistical and ITC policies.
2. Support the Deputy RECO Teloco to provide strategic support to field teams for Logistic
2.1. Collaborate with and give technical support to the teams in the field in all phases of the project cycle (design of project proposal, planning, monitoring and evaluation, project re-orientation, expansion or closure), for regular, exploratory, and emergency missions.
2.2. Provide logistical technical support to the assigned portfolio, taking into account operational orientations and the input from support services.
3. Ensure appropriate logistics networking at NBO level, monitoring different partners and organizations in the region
3.1. Keep update mapping of NBO logistics Networks with other NGOs
3.2. Keep update research of NBO logistics Networks with the private sector and Universities.
4. Together with the Deputy RECO Teloco, follow up projects and support reporting.
4.1. Ensure timely and accurate logistical reporting is submitted by missions to analyse the fulfilment of operational and logistics objectives, and feed LogOps’ monitoring and analyses.
4.2. Follow up, jointly with the Technical Referents, the logistical content of the projects through field visits and technical reports.
4.3. In the case of need, support the logistical teams in the field when drafting the technical parts of reports for donors, ratifying them with his/her Deputy RECO before submitting them to the corresponding donors.
5. Participate in HR processes and training
5.1. Collaborate with the Deputy RECO Teloco in reviewing and approving descriptions of field positions, based on job profiles.
5.2. Collaborate with HR in the assignment of field positions.
5.3. Carry out technical briefings and debriefings of logistics professionals in his/her cell, involving Technical Referents when needed, and identify individual training needs.
5.4. Ensure that logistical teams receive technical and methodological information through briefings, specific sessions, coordinators’ weeks, technical publications, etc.
5.5. Participate in internal and (exceptionally) external courses/information sessions imparted by MSFE/OCBA in agreement with his/her supervisor.
6. Contribute to his/her Operational Cell
6.1. Be globally acquainted with all the projects of the Operational Cell as well as the following up their evolution.
6.2. Represent the Deputy RECO TELOCO during field visits.
7.1. Manage the communication channels with the teams in the field and /or the Logistics Department, for issues that affect assigned portfolio.
7.2. Consult support services for sparring and as technical content providers when needed.
7.3. Ensure that knowledge management policies are implemented at his/her level of responsibility
7.4. Participate in the accountability transversal processes at his/her level of responsibility.
· Based in: Nairobi, KENYA
· Full time job
· Annual gross salary (based on a 40 hours per week)
· Secondary benefits, based on OCBA Reward Policy.
· Travel to the projects 25-30% of the time.
· Starting Date: ASAP
Desired Skills and Experience
· Previous experience humanitarian field, whether in MSF or externally, is essential (anticipated to be greater than 5 years).
· Graduate degree in a logistic, management or engineering field is essential.
· Specific training in watsan is recommended.
· Strong technical skill in Energy, Fleet Management and Construction.
· Ability to translate complex contexts and summarize the core elements into analysis with clear conclusions and recommendations
· Proven excellence in English (published reports, position papers, media work etc)
· Other languages would be considered as an asset (e.g. Arabic and French)
· Commitment to MSF’s Principles
· Cross-cultural Awareness
· Behavioural Flexibility
· Strategic Vision
· Results and Quality Orientation
· Service Orientation
· Planning and Organising
· Initiative and Innovation
· Teamwork and Cooperation
· Security Awareness and Management
· Excellent verbal and written communication, representation and training skills.
· Availability to travel frequently, either to the field or international meetings.
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter under the reference “CELL 5 LOGISTICS SUPPORT OFFICER ´´ by December 27th 2015 to:
MSF will contact only shortlisted candidates
Those who previously applied for this position need not to apply
- Organization: MSF - Canada
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2015-12-27