Buena Milpa Project Leader
We are seeking an experienced and result-oriented professional for the position of Buena Milpa Project Leader in the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP).
The position will be based in Guatemala and will interact with CIMMYT ́s regional offices world-wide on a regular basis.
- Coordinate the different research teams towards output driven performance and implement efficient project management and implementation schemes.
- Coordinate the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning efforts for the project with the M, E, & L expert of the Sustainable Intensification Program in Latin America.
- Manage and supervise the representation of CIMMYT in Guatemala and the local project team.
- Maintain and enhance the relations with the donor.
- Develop annual work plans and monitor their execution against the project baseline, including activities, deliverables, schedule, and associated costs, and ensure that the project work plan is regularly updated in CIMMYT's Research Management System.
- Prepare technical and financial project reports, in consultation with the team members, and relay timely to the donor.
- Ensure effective deployment of staff and other resources, including staff time allocation to the project, in coordination with CIMMYT’s SIP and SEP (Socioeconomic Program) Directors and with SIP Latin America Strategy Leader.
- Manage partner/stakeholder expectations and conduct quality assurance of project deliverables including: monitoring of the project variables (cost, effort, scope, etc.) against the project management plan and the project performance baseline.
- Prepare necessary documentation and execute project subcontracts and consultancies ensuring full compliance with established policies and processes, monitoring their implementation, and ensuring smooth closure of contracts.
- Organize project workshops and ensure responsible parties follow-up on the decisions related to the project.
- Oversee the procurement and management of project assets, inventory, and other resources, in alignment with CIMMYT's policies and processes.
- Assist the project team in knowledge capture, documenting lessons learned, and circulating relevant information to the project management team.
- Monitor and evaluate contributions by project team members to facilitate performance management and appraisals.
- Support and coordinate scientific publications of the results obtained in the project.
- Ensure institutional integration of the project under the oversight of the Program Director, Knowledge Manager, and others as necessary.
- Participate in strategic discussions for regional/global strategies on project planning and implementation of Sustainable Intensification and Innovation Systems approaches for learning and outscaling.
- Develop and set up new collaborative research opportunities in Latin America.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in a relevant scientific agricultural field, but with strong experience in management of multi-institutional and multi-disciplinary projects.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience including knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures of project management of R&D projects (preferably in agriculture).
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining collaborative institutional partnerships.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish, with excellent written / oral communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite and in management standard software (e.g., MS Project Professional). Experience with SharePoint software is desirable.
- Solid experience in management of project portfolio size (US $ 2-3 M annually).
- Effective team leadership and high level of responsibility and discretion. Ability to work with innovation approaches.
- Ability to work well under pressure as part of a multidisciplinary and multicultural team. High level of cultural sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and attitudes stated above.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Daniel Ixtla, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIMMYT - International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
- Location: Guatemala City
- Grade: Mid level
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Biology and Chemistry
- Closing Date: 2016-01-06