Organizational Unit: UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate training, and the dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. The University functions as a think tank for the United Nations system, contributes to capacity building, particularly in developing countries, and serves as a platform for new and innovative ideas and dialogue.
UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
UNU-IAS is a new UNU institute, created in January 2014 through the consolidation of the former UNU Institute of Advanced Studies (Yokohama) and UNU Institute for Sustainability and Peace (UNU-ISP, Tokyo). It is based at UNU Headquarters in Tokyo.
The mission of UNU-IAS is to serve the international community through policy-relevant research and capacity development focused on sustainability, including its social, economic, and environmental dimensions. UNU-IAS builds on a strong tradition of UNU research and capacity development in Japan, undertaken in collaboration with a global network of professionals and scholars, particularly in Africa and Asia. For more information please visit http://ias.unu.edu.
Under the over-all supervision of the UNU-IAS Director, and direct supervision of the Senior Academic Programme Officer in charge of UNU-IAS Graduate Degree and Training Programme, the contractor will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist in overall implementation of UNU-IAS Postgraduate Degree and Training Programme, including various capacity development and fellowship programmes.
- Assist in the planning, organisation, and implementation of UNU joint graduate diploma programmes with selected universities in Japan and internationally.
- Provide student services, including registration advising and financial aid.
- In undertaking the aforementioned tasks, process various administrative matters including preparation and coordination of various meetings, travel, contracts, procurement, and related payments.
- Prepare various documents and reports, including transcripts and academic certificates.
- Liaise with donors and partner universities and organisations for collaborative activities.
- Prepare financial report to donors and provide necessary information as required by the donors.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration or equivalent field of study, preferably with work experience in office administration in an international environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English- and Japanese-language communications skill is essential.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); experience in using ERP systems like PeopleSoft system is advantageous.
- Ability to establish priorities, work within tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will be between 280,000 and 300,000 per month in Japanese Yen. There are no other fringe benefits.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) with UNU. Initial appointment will be for one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
January 2016 (negotiable).
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out: (1) what are your motivations for applying for the post and (2) how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae in Japanese
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2015/UNU/IAS/PSA/PA/86)
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations)
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8)
All information available at: http://unu.edu/about/hr/administrative/project-assistant-2.html#overview
- Organization: UNU - United Nations University
- Location: Tokyo
- Grade: Junior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2015-12-18