Regional Health Advisor (West Africa)
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
Reports to: Regional Director
Location: Based in Freetown with 60% travel
GOAL is an international humanitarian organisation founded in 1977. GOAL’s programmes are aimed at assisting the most vulnerable in communities and providing immediate support to those affected by war or natural disaster. GOAL’s health strategy centres on initiating and contributing to the sustainability of health activities in countries of operation in co-ordination with national governments and other relevant national and international partners. GOAL supports community based behaviour change approaches and works with communities often through local partners to get them actively involved and empowered to seek positive changes to their own health status and that of their community. GOALs health programme encompasses nutrition, primary and secondary health care, HIV, and WASH with a particular focus on maternal, new born and child health).In acute emergencies GOAL consider directly implementing health activities during acute emergency interventions and in Complex Emergency (CE) situations however from the outset GOAL will consider building MoH capacity to respond and recover from crisis.
In 2014 GOAL considerably scaled up its health response to the Ebola Viral Disease epidemic in Sierra Leone and Liberia. That response has included supporting Ebola Treatment Centres in Sierra Leone and Liberia, scaling up the support to the Ministry of Health for infection prevention and control at primary and secondary health care facilities across 6 districts in Sierra Leone and leading a social mobilisation response consortium for behaviour change response at community level across all districts in Sierra Leone. As part of the recovery phase in 2016 GOAL is seeking to expand to the support to Ministry of Health for health system strengthening across the region and as such seeks a dynamic experienced regional health advisor to lead the development of the regional health programme strategy and promotion of GOALs visibility within the regional health sector.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE:
To provide technical guidance to GOALs health programmes in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Niger Specific areas of focus will include health research, identifying modalities for increasing GOALs health portfolio, behaviour change and health system strengthening/health accountability. The Regional Health Advisor will also ensure that health activities in defined countries are in line with GOALs health strategy and overall health care approach.
The post-holder will also work to develop key relationships with health donor NGOs such as USAID and DFID and work closely with other international health agencies and consortiums. The Advisor will have a particular focus on documenting the evidence of the impact of GOALs health work in the region. S/he will also represent GOAL as an organisation at regional fora to promote GOALs work and visibility as a health NGO and to increase GOALs leverage to compete for US and UK based health funding either as a lead agency or as part of a Consortium with other international NGOs.
It is expected that the Regional Health Advisor will focus on supporting the in-country health teams in the development and implementation of the health system recovery strategy, EVD research components and build GOAL’s regional health portfolio.
- To support on health policy development with a particular focus on supporting the strengthening of health systems and community based health approaches.
- To provide technical support on health issues to the in-country teams.
- Identify opportunities for EVD focused health research and also participate in the health research and analysis with a particular focus on health systems and Community Health.
- In collaboration with the Global Health Advisor monitor international best practise, innovation and external research and disseminate appropriate research and tools within the organisation.
- Assist GOAL country programmes in developing health systems strengthening that is focused at primary and secondary health care level, builds a foundation of appropriate infection prevention and control for the prevention of future epidemics and has community health approaches that rebuilds the trust of the community in the health system,
- To ensure that HIV mitigation activities are a part of all health activities and to ensure the integration of nutrition into primary health programming.
- To ensure that gender dynamics, are incorporated into all health activities and is a key component of health staff training and development.
- To represent GOAL at strategic technical health meetings in West Africa, with donors such as USAID and DFID and at other external agencies as required by Regional Director.
- To disseminate GOALs research, examples of best practise and or innovations within GOALs regional health sector both internally and externally (to take the opportunity to present GOALs work at external meetings).
- To assist in donor proposal development as required by in country and regional team.
- To actively seek out new sources of health funding and support country health programmes to develop health proposals for new and innovative health donors.
HEALTH SYSTEM STRENGHTENING
- To develop GOALs approach to Health System Strengthening-documenting progress in the region and advising on whether there is any opportunity for replication in other GOAL country health programmes
- Ensure that GOAL programmes are working with MoH structures at local and national level to support health system reforms.
- Apply knowledge and expertise in health policy and programmes to design and develop activities that promote health policy reforms/development.
- Support country health programmes to transition their health approach to ensure that health system strengthening is a key component of their approach.
- Work at the policy level with key decision makers from the host government, participating in strategy development and technical discussions relating to future direction of the health programme.
HEALTH HUMAN RESOURCES:
- Coordinate with other members of the technical team in particular the members of the Public Health sector (which includes WASH, Nutrition and HIV technical staff) in order to develop GOALs integrated approach to programme planning and implementation.
- Participate in recruitment and professional development of GOAL health staff as required.
- Advise HR on selection and shortlisting of health candidates and participate in technical interview and briefings of newly recruited health staff as required.
- Participate in staff reviews for senior health staff and advice HR on training needs requirements or retention initiatives for health staff.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION:
- Work closely with GOALs M&E department to ensure that the health component of GOALs programme are using GOALs M&E tools appropriately and that M&E training and capacity building is being provided as required.
- Ensure that all health programmes have an M&E plan in place and the technical capacity and support to implement this.
- Document GOAL best practise in health and where possible to publish and or disseminate such documents to external organisation as a way of promoting the visibility of GOALs work in health
- To take the lead on supporting periodic internal evaluations of country health programmes and assist and participate in external health evaluations as required.
- Assist in developing appropriate health monitoring tools and ensuing that those which are in place are being used appropriately and are sufficiently robust to assist in programme review.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least Master’s/PhD Degree in Public Health or a related subject with some background in health systems strengthening.
- Experience of conducting health research, data analysis and documentation of best practise
- Experience of developing donor proposals and reports with various donors and understanding of the log-frame or results framework.
- Minimum 5 years international field experience in health.
- Ability to make links between WASH, HIV/AIDS, and nutrition within the broader context of an integrated public health approach.
- The ability to liaise and effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs and community initiatives.
- Proven ability to effectively influence health policy, reform and strategy within health structures.
- Knowledge of French.
- Previous experience of working with Health organisations and health donors in particular USAID and DFID.
- Specific experience of taking the lead of proposal and programme development for specific large scale health/development donors.
- Previous published work in the field of public health
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. This is an unaccompanied position. Interviews will be held in Dublin or London. Unfortunately GOAL cannot contribute to financial costs incurred when attending interview.
Note: GOAL is an equal opportunities employer
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Freetown (Sierra Leone)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-01-10