Consultant to provide technical support for the Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP), Global Health Security Project (GHSP), Mekong Program
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health. Working in Vietnam since the early 1980s, PATH established a permanent office in Hanoi in 1997 and an office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014.
PATH seeks a local consultant in Vietnam to provide technical support for Field Epidemiology Training Program Component of a new, 5-year project aimed at building strong national capacity in health information systems, disease surveillance systems (both indicator-based and event-based surveillance systems), and workforce development focusing on Field Epidemiology Training Program in Vietnam in order to achieve specific goals in three focus areas of Global Health Security Agenda including i) preventing avoidable epidemics; ii) detecting threat early; and iii) responding rapidly and effectively. The FETP Consultant will work closely with General Department of Preventive Medicine (GDPM), Ministry of Health and US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Vietnam, and PATH to coordinate, facilitate and implement the day-to-day activities of the project.
II. Specific responsibilities of the consultant
The consultant will be based at GDPM under supervision and direction of the GDPM leaders and PATH Project Director. Specific responsibilities include:
- Support GDPM leaders and serve as a focal point person for FETP component of the Project, including leading planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of FETP related project activities.
- Update and develop training curriculum, training materials for different training models of FETP.
- Prepare training plan and workshops of the FETP component.
- Support fellows and trainees to design and conduct research projects, outbreak investigations for public health intervention and support the analysis of data and preparation of manuscripts.
- Monitor progress and evaluate quality of study of the fellows in order to meet requirements of the program.
- Provide support for scientific advisory board to review/approve submitted protocols and evaluate quality of products.
- Create linkage between experts, supervisors, mentors and fellows, trainees inside and outside the country to set up a network and technical support.
- Work as a lecturer, mentor for the fellows in the class training and supervisor in the field assignment.
- Attend the TOT training for Event-Based Surveillance (EBS) and conduct cascade trainings at 4 piloted provinces.
- Attend monthly/ad hoc meetings with GDPM, PATH and CDC.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities.
- Prepare progress report/deliverables of the FETP component as required by GDPM, PATH and CDC. The list of deliverables is subject to modify upon the revision of workplan.
Item Deliverables Time
SOP for applying, reviewing and awarding sub-grants and mini-grants and full time fellowship Completed Jan 30, 2016
SOP/guidelines for outbreak investigations and field studies for fellows completed Jan 30, 2016
The above guidelines/SOPs implemented and evaluated for revision Ongoing process
Guidelines for evaluating products of sub-grantees completed February 28, 2016
III. Duration of the contract
The consultant will work full-time during the period from January 1st to September 29, 2016.
The consultant will be paid directly by PATH office in Viet Nam. The consultant fee will be paid monthly upon PATH’s receipt and approval of the deliverables and after GDPM leaders certify the duration and quality of the consultant’s work.Required Skills
- Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese and English.
- Advanced skills in data analysis, interpretation of epidemiological data, and writing of scientific material and manuscripts, as well as excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
Willingness and ability to travel within Vietnam up to 30 percent per year.Required Experience
Advanced degree in medicine or epidemiology/public health or related field.
Good knowledge on research methodology, data analysis and bio statistics.
Good knowledge of Epi-Info, and one of the following: SPSS, SAS, STATA, GIS.
Deep experience with mentoring/supervising fellows and students on projects and field work.
Experience working effectively with government counterparts at both national and regional level.
At least 5 years of experience working in preventive medicine area or epidemiology and outbreak control and prevention.
Experience in teaching and training in applied epidemiology and surveillance a plus. Work experience in FETP would be an asset.
APPLY AT https://path.silkroad.com/epostings/
- Organization: PATH - Global Health Organization
- Location: Hanoi (Vietnam)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Security and Safety
- Education, Learning and Training
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2015-12-31