WASH-BCC Advisor: Ethiopia TRANSFORM: WASH Activity
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. The IRC has been working in Ethiopia for over 15 years implementing direct programming in the areas of WASH, education, livelihoods, reproductive health, gender-based violence, and child and youth protection and development. Today, we provide services to approximately 405,200 refugees in 20 camps and more than one million vulnerable Ethiopians in seven regions.
IRC is seeking for a Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene - Behavioral Change Communication (WASH-BCC) Advisor for the five-year, approximately $30 million USAID-funded TRANSFORM: WASH activity. This project will encompass a set of innovative and strategic interventions targeting actions at different scales, with an overall goal of reducing under-five mortality, through increased use of WASH products and services to be achieved via the four interrelated objectives: 1) Increased WASH governance and management capacity at the sub-national level; 2) Increased demand for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; 3) Increased supply for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; 4) Increased knowledge base to bring WASH innovations to scale.
The WASH - BCC Advisor will serve as the project's technical lead, and will assist the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) in the design, management, and implementation of project activities.
This position is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding and is anticipated to begin in March 2016.
- Under the guidance of the DCOP, provide leadership, supervision, and oversight of project activities, ensuring efficient and effective project implementation including the timely completion of high-quality work plans, accurate reports, and other mandated deliverables.
- Work with the COP, DCOP, and M&E Manager in preparing project work-plans with clear objectives and achievable benchmarks, reflecting strategic long-term and short-term priorities.
- Technically support the development of long and short term integrated Community Led Total Sanitation and Hygiene (CLTSH)/BCC and Sanitation marketing plans.
- Conceptualize and design sound CLTSH/BCC and Sanitation marketing strategies, tools, and anticipate trends.
- Actively support the development of strategic plans and budgets.
- Build the capacity of the local governments, professional and private sanitation service entities, CBOs, NGOs, Communities and other key WASH stakeholders on CLTSH and BCC.
- Work in close collaboration with the district and local level government and private sector entities, steer and trigger sanitation demand creation.
- Articulate the sanitation demand needs in relation to sanitation supply chains and develop strategies of stimulating and scaling sanitation demand using CLTSH approaches.
- Design appropriate indicators for building the capacity of MoH and other government line ministries.
- Oversee the documentation and steer effective and efficient sanitation promotion campaign.
- Actively monitor progress toward plans to assure accomplishment of goals.
- Manage the development of project success stories for dissemination to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with standards, branding and other CLTSH/BCC requirements.
- Support in collecting, collating, analyzing project information on CLTSH/BCC for briefs.
- Manages all project related communication on CLTSH/BCC.
- Offer quality and timely submittal to DCOP of requested project deliverables.
- Technically support the DCOP in maintenance of effective working relationships, strategies and work plans with USAID, key GoU partners, local and international NGOs, implementing partners, and other development sector stakeholders on issues of CLTHS/BCC.
- Deliberately bring out, document and develop strategies that enhance gender equity, greater youth engagement and address climate change in water supply, sanitation and nutrition solutions.
- Use problem-solving and consensus-building skills and ability to promote coordination among diverse interests and institutions working in the project.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the DCOP.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's degree in Public Health, or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience with progressively increasing responsibility in Ethiopia or the Horn of Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization. Proven ability to convene/chair high profile meetings and ability to productively interact with a wide range of organizations (e.g. government, private sector, NGOs, and research institutions).
- Proven experience in undertaking at-scale public health activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of behavior change strategies including experience formative research, strategy development and implementation.
- Deep understanding of CLTSH and typical WASH BC methodologies
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2F0cmluYW1pbGxlci41MzQ2NS4zODMwQGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20