Audit and Compliance Coordinator
The Syria crisis is often described as the worst humanitarian catastrophe since the end of the Cold War. Inside Syria, 7.6 million people are internally displaced and 12.2 million are in need of humanitarian assistance, with 4.8 million in hard-to-reach areas. There are 4 million Syrian refugees in neighboring countries. This is no short-term humanitarian episode. The devastating human consequences to huge numbers of people will endure for decades. The destruction of relationships, communities, livelihoods, homes and infrastructure will take years to repair.
IRC is offering a robust humanitarian response to the Syria crisis with an annual budget in excess of $140 million and a rapidly expanding portfolio, supported by more than 1,250 staff in the region. IRC is undertaking programs in Syria and the neighboring countries of Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan in the fields of health, child protection, education, women's protection and empowerment, NFI and food distribution, cash assistance, water and sanitation, and livelihood programming. Our work in these challenging settings gives rise to some of the most pressing issues facing contemporary humanitarian action, including questions of access, security, funding and coordination.
The Audit and Compliance Coordinator will support the Country Director and Senior Director, Internal Audit and Global Assurance, to deliver on the compliance and internal audit functions of IRC Turkey, ensuring that IRC Turkey's programs, including its sub-grantees/partners, are fully compliant with IRC's and its donors' rules and regulations. This will be achieved through the systematic examination and evaluation of the adequacy, reliability and effectiveness of internal policies, rules and guidelines and the extent to which established internal controls are complied with. Where weaknesses in controls or application of controls are identified, the Internal Audit and Compliance Coordinator will recommend action to remedy the situation.
Major Responsibilities :
- To stay informed of and monitor country program's adherence to IRC procedures and policies in relation to Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Programs as set out in relevant IRC manuals and guidelines.
- To familiarize oneself with donor rules and regulations in relation to Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Programs as set out in grant agreements.
- To familiarize oneself with relevant fraud and anti-corruption policies and lead effective communication of these policies to staff and partners/sub-grantees.
- To prepare, agree with the CD and Senior Director, and coordinate periodic Internal Audit plans & donor compliance reviews, based on risk assessment.
- To review the adequacy and effectiveness of IRC Turkey's and its partners/sub-grantees systems and internal policies, rules and guidelines, assessing the extent to which these controls offer adequate protection against error, fraud and loss of all kinds.
- To review the extent to which those internal policies, rules and guidelines are complied with, including conducting walk-throughs and tests that systematically assess whether systems and controls are operating as per policies, procedures and donor regulations.
To lead regular internal audits at both country head office and field office(s) based on the agreed Internal Audit plans, with particular emphasis on:
float transaction testing,
human resources management,
beneficiary distributions and records, and
general donor compliance.
To produce reports with findings and issues identified during the audit, give appropriate recommendation and actions, providing specific advice and suggestions on improvements to IRC Turkey's systems and procedures.
To produce monthly activity reports for submission to the Country Director and Senior Director.
Ensure timely escalation of significant findings or knowledge/suspicions of fraud, waste, abuse and corruption to the appropriate functions at IRC HQ in New York.
Conduct any ad-hoc internal audit and compliance investigation assignments as requested by the Country Director, Senior Director or SRR Regional Director.
If requested, support and/or participate in investigation under the supervision of the Legal Department or Global Internal Audit.
Coordinate and act as the focal person in country for all donor audits. Work with each department to deliver full cooperation during these audits and raise any significant issues immediately with the Country Director and Senior Director.
Support IRC Turkey staff to enhance their knowledge, understanding and consistent application of IRC and donor policies.
Respond to ad hoc donor-specific queries.
Review and advise the Country Director on large contracts and MoUs prior to signing, ensuring that suppliers are selected in accordance with IRC and donor regulations and that the files contain the required supporting documentation.
Document any obvious successes, useful practices, and challenge/learning areas for the purposes of institutional learning.
- Manage the staff of the Internal Audit and Compliance Unit so that its objectives are met, staff are properly performance managed and that staff capacity is built.
- Assess risk management approach and practices to ensure that risk management processes are effectively embedded throughout the country program. This should include leading the development and regular review of a risk register.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Senior Director, SRR Regional Director or Country Director, inlcuding in locations outside Turkey.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- A qualified accountant, auditor, risk compliance officer or advanced degree in a relevant discipline
- At least 5 years finance experience with a minimum 3 year in Audit and Compliance;
- Good understanding of International Auditing, Accounting and Internal Control standards (COSO). An understanding of SORP accounting principles is beneficial;
- International experience within other NGOs or in the development / humanitarian sector, with knowledge of donor rules and regulation, is desirable;
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and reporting skills
- Ability to respond to changing priorities;
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and to self-initiate;
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and in writing, in English and Turkish;
- Evidence of experience in compiling and conducting training workshops is advantageous;
- Experience conducting investigations is a plus;
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel
- Strong commitment to IRC's mission, purpose and values;
Working Environment : The position will be based in Antakya, Turkey with frequent travel within Turkey and occasionally to other countries in the region where IRC has operations.
Returning National Candidates : We strongly encourage national or returning national candidates to apply for this position. If you are a national of the Country in which this position is based and are currently located outside of your home country and possess over two years of international work experience, the Syria Response Region has introduced an attractive remuneration package. The package includes competitive compensation, return flight to post, shipping allowance, temporary housing and a relocation allowance. Certain restrictions may apply. IRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff in our programs.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YXN0cmlkLm1hdGhldy41ODA1NC4zODMwQGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Ankara (Turkey)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2016-02-10
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Bamako | Male (Mali)
Washington D.C | United States (United States of America)