Country Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
Nayal | Sudan
POSITION TITLE: Country Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator
COUNTRY PROGRAM: Sudan
RESPONSIBLE TO: Country Program Manager
STATUS: Full time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: National Staff
DATE: December 2015
COUNTRY PROGRAM MISSION
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) Sudan Program started in 2004 in response to the emergency needs of some 500,000 conflict-affected IDPs and host populations in the Tulus and Gereida corridors in South Darfur. The overall aim of the program is to improve the well-being of the target populations by addressing their immediate humanitarian needs and contributing to long-term community stabilization.
In conjunction with the Head Office in Khartoum, the field office in Nyala supports the delivery of primary health care services at 14 rehabilitated community clinics and a large clinic in the Gereida camp in addition to reaching out with mobile clinic services to 6 remote communities in which health facilities have not yet been rehabilitated. Water and sanitation services, including the construction/rehabilitation of boreholes water yards, household and institutional latrines and hygiene promotion messages, are also delivered in over 70 conflict-affected communities. A small agriculture component assists resettling IDPs and host populations with seeds, tools and extension services to grow their own food.
With an annual budget of between $9-12m, the Sudan Program has 10 expatriates and over 370 national staff some of who are seconded from the line Ministries of the Sudan government.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
ARC Sudan is recruiting a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator to support the development and improvement of its programs and service delivery in Sudan. Under the supervision of the Country Program Manager, the M&E Coordinator will be responsible to support the development and maintenance of a results based M&E system throughout the ARC country program, to help improve the life conditions and self-reliance of refugees and their host communities in program locations in Sudan.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Technical and Systems Development – 35%
- Support the development, measurement, and reporting of qualitative and quantitative output, outcome, objective, and goal-level performance indicators with targets for all the country program.
- Help develop a country wide theory of change/results chain integrating all ARC’s activities and grants in Sudan.
- Develop and regularly update the Country Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
- Support the management team in developing a Country Monitoring Dashboard that will integrate critical indicators of program results and budget spending rates.
- Oversee the development, on-going modifications, strengthening and functioning of the country-level data management.
- Help identify and design innovative practices to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness in M&E and general project management.
M&E Implementation and Management - 45%
- Provide technical guidance and oversight in the data collection, collation and feedback activities.
- Develop and help implement appropriate data collection and analysis instruments and methodologies, and data/information dissemination/utilisation plans.
- Coordinate data collection activities such as rapid assessments, market studies, baseline data collection surveys, special studies, and other research activities.
- Provide data to the Grants Manager for use in preparation of reports to donors and other stakeholders, as required.
- Coordinate timely and adequate review of program activities on a regular basis.
- Represent ARC in different forums on M&E related issues when required.
- Provide support to any M&E and program activities as may be required by the management.
- Implement any recommendation issued by the management team and the ARC M&E Technical Advisor regarding M&E activities.
Capacity building & Organizational Learning – 20%
- Contribute to the proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through M&E activities.
- Insure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of the program and influence the strategic development of future programs and activities.
- Strengthen M&E capacities of all program staff at on a continuous basis through on job training and mentoring.
- Participate and contribute to management decision making processes by availing all the program information acquired from the M&E activities.
- Support program implementation and improvement by providing timely information around project successes to be scaled up as well as challenges to allow ‘course correction’ throughout life of the program.
- Design and provide M&E specific technical training as required to insure continuous organizational learning.
- Participate in M&E-related regional conferences and workshops when possible and stay up to date of best practices and new knowledge created in the field of development evaluation.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- 3-5 years of experience in results based monitoring and evaluation in development programs;
- Experience coordinating QA/ME activities at head office of an INGO;
- Graduate degree preferred in a relevant field (economics, sociology, social studies, management, demography etc).
- Post graduate training in development monitoring and evaluation required;
- Experience in capacity building and training highly desirable;
- Experience conducting research, including the use of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and data collection and analysis instruments;
- Knowledge of multidimensional poverty and wellbeing analysis highly desirable;
- Technical knowledge in some of the following program sector at least three of the following sectors required: Health & Nutrition, Livelihoods and Economic recovery, WASH;
- Experience working with international donors and grants highly desirable;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required;
- Strong computer literacy (Excel, Word, MS Project, SPSS, STATA and/or other statistical applications)
- Strong demonstrated writing, editing, and analytical skills; ability to communicate clearly and efficiently.
- Organization: ARC - American Refugee commitee
- Location: Nayal | Sudan
- Grade: Mid level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2015-12-31