HIV-TB Medical Advisor (Local candidates only)
TITLE: HIV-TB Medical Advisor (Local candidates only)
Reports to: Director of Programs
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 16 countries and at over 5,500 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement comprehensive prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) has worked in Lesotho since 2004 and with PEPFAR support, rapidly scaled up a district approach model for comprehensive HIV service delivery in all ten districts and supported central-level activities in partnership with the MOH and local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs).
The HIV-TB Medical Advisor serves as the lead HIV care and treatment (C&T) specialist within EGPAF Lesotho. The Senior Technical Advisor Ensures that Care and Treatment including pediatric programs are clinically sound, evidence-based, and aligned with the priorities of Lesotho Ministry of Health (MoH), donors, and program beneficiaries. The Advisor is a resource person for MoH’s Technical Working Groups (TWG) and Technical Advisory Committees (TAC). He/She mentors District Technical Advisors and other technical staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results.
The Advisor will work with district teams to build on current program strengths and accomplishments, taking into account the donor priorities, national priorities, existing stakeholders, and programming opportunities. Working with the Director of Programs, the Advisor will be responsible for maintaining a high level of expertise in Adult C&T, in particular the area of antiretroviral treatment (including adherence and retention, roll-out of viral load monitoring, treatment monitoring, drug resistance, and other related issues), and keeping EGPAF staff informed of relevant trends and opportunities that relate to EGPAF’s mission, donor priorities and host country strategic plans. The position entails travel up to 50%
Job Responsibilities/Essential Duties:
Provide technical leadership in the area of HIV Care and Treatment (C&T), which includes:
- Providing evidence-base support HIV C&T across the foundation
- Develop innovative approaches to test, initiate, retain and attain viral suppression for patients enrolled in the program in the framework of the 90-90-90.
- Supporting country teams in the design and implementation of new Adult C&T interventions and strengthen of HIV C&T components in current programs
- Providing technical assistance, training, and mentoring to support EGPAF’s district teams in Adult C&T
- Providing technical assistance to PEPFAR and Global Fund programs as part of EGPAF’s national TA efforts
- Developing (if not existing), disseminating and ensuring operationalization of state-of-the-art training materials and systematically update technical and other staff on HIV C&T
- Provide technical mentorship to district based staff
- Supporting new business opportunities, including concept development, technical writing, technical review of new business concepts and proposals
- Keeping abreast of state-of-art global technical in C&T and serve as EGPAF point of contact for HIV C&T issues
- Represent EGPAF in Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and Technical Advisory Committees (TACs), external meetings, working groups related to HIV C&T
- Support and develop ideas for evaluation and operations research activities to document the outcomes and impact of HIV C&T programs, as well as in the identification of priority research and evaluation questions.
- Support documentation of program experiences in HIV C&T as well as enhanced knowledge sharing to internal and external audiences around EGPAF’s program experiences including publishing in peer-review journals
- Be responsive to donor needs and strict reporting requirements
- Medical Degree (MD, MBChB, MB SB)
- Master of Public Health (MPH); Master of Sciences Epidemiology (MSc) or equivalent degree or experience is an added advantage.
- Registration with completion of course work is acceptable.
- Strong experience in providing mentorship and technical assistance
- Self-motivated and demonstrated success in building effective programs in resource-limited settings
- Experience working with PEPFAR, CDC and USAID implementing partners will be an added advantage
- At least five years of proven experience in HIV and TB-project management in the design, administration, management and implementation of international health programs in developing countries, including supervision, M&E and reporting
- Proven experience in the development of quality improvement / quality improvement tools and -systems in developing countries
- Proven experience in the writing of abstracts, proposals and reports
- Extensive clinical experience in care of HIV infected adults and children in resource poor settings
- At least five years of work experience in Africa
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Excellent collaboration and partnering skills in a teamwork environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team
Please submit a resume by applying online at http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=PEDAIDS&cws=1&rid=962
- Organization: Pedaids - Pediatric AIDS
- Location: Maseru (Lesotho)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Medical Practitioners
- HIV and AIDS
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-02-14