Health and Nutrition Coordinator
The IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. Beginning of January, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In Adamawa state, IRC has two operational offices with one based in the state capital of Yola providing emergency response to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings and host communities and the second based in Mubi town and providing humanitarian support to returnee populations and IDPs from conflict stricken neighbouring states. October 1 2015, the IRC expanded humanitarian interventions to the neighbouring state of Borno, which hosts the largest number of IDPs in the North East region.
A multi-sectoral approach is being employed through the implementation of sectors: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection; Food Security and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
The IRC is working closely with the state Primary Health Care Development Agency to improve access to quality medical care through provision of essential drugs, medical equipment, delivering targeted-tailored trainings for health workers and supporting community based structures to be responsive in health and nutrition programming. Presently the IRC is providing health and nutrition support to 50 health centers in Adamawa state and in Borno state, the nutrition interventions will be targeting 20 health centers and their catchment areas.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Health & Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for the immediate implementation and management of IRC’s health and nutrition program in Nigeria, working in collaboration with the senior management team both in Abuja and in the field. As the focal point for health and nutrition programs in Nigeria, the Health & Nutrition Coordinator will ensure the continued implementation of quality primary health care including nutrition programing in IRC’s operational areas in the North East Nigeria. S/he will provide technical support to the health and nutrition program to ensure that IRC programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program. The Health & Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners and donors as new opportunities for coordination and funding arise. S/he will also play a strong role in mentoring and training the health and nutrition team with a particular focus on M&E.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance of all IRC primary health care and nutrition projects.
- Extend technical support and supervision to the IRC’s implementing partners as the need arises.
- Ensure that the health and nutrition projects in Nigeria utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Federal Ministry of Health and WHO. Ensure that all activities are consistent with established best practices.
- In collaboration with the other health program staff in Nigeria, oversee the implementation of health and nutrition projects implemented by IRC Nigeria, including grant management and budget forecasting and spending in collaboration with other departments.
- Promote the quality of the IRC’s health programs by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other staff.
- Provide technical supervision of, and technical support to IRC Nigeria health and nutrition programming activities;
- Design and lead technical assessments as a basis for health and nutrition program development;
- Ensure collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for all health and nutrition programs in line with IRC’s REL (Research, Evaluation & Learning) guidelines and according to internal and donor requirements are put in place;
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health and nutrition programs in Nigeria
- Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic action based on data and identified needs.
- Collaborate with the Technical Advisors and country Senior Management Team to lead the development of a health program strategy that is aligned to the IRC Nigeria Strategic Action Plan (SAP) 2015-2020.
Grants Management and Program Development:
- Ensure that programmatic and financial reports for donors and IRC country program are prepared as required, ensuring these are of the highest quality and submitted in a timely manner to the donor;
- Prepare all necessary documentation for Grant Opening, Review and Closing meetings
- Assist with the preparation and revision of a realistic budget, authorizing and monitoring expenditure in line with the budget, donor guidelines and IRC’s grant management and financial regulations;
- Identify opportunities for program development;
- Collaborate with other in-country program teams to ensure an integrated strategy to achieve health outcomes as in the country’s SAP;
- Develop program and project proposals, including theories of change, logical frameworks, program design and implementation plans and SMART indicators for the IRC Nigeria health and nutrition program under the supervision of the SPC and in consultation and collaboration with field-based technical and management staff.
- Develop and implement continuous staff capacity building plan to ensure quality gender-sensitive programming;
- Ensure respect for IRC HR policies;
- Provide timely and quality performance evaluations;
- Promote the IRC Way with all supervisees;
- Identify and execute modalities for teamwork.
Coordination and Representation:
- In coordination with the supervisor, represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, relevant line ministries, and donors for health and nutrition and technical working groups;
- Coordinate closely with the operations teams including: administration, HR, supply chain and finance as they relate to the program; and actively participate in periodic program meetings and ensure a summary of progress and challenges are prepared and presented with follow-up actions as required;
- Participate in internal coordination and management meetings to promote effective and efficient information sharing and program integration.
Qualifications and experience:
- Medical doctor or nurse with Masters in Public Health or an equivalent degree
- Must have at least 5 years professional experience in implementing health related projects
- At least 5 years experience working with INGOs in humanitarian or development contexts; previous emergency response, conflict/post-conflict experience preferred
- Must be knowledgeable of ECHO, UNICEF, SIDA, WHO procedures and familiar with their approach and strategies
- Good project Management skills, including financial planning and documentation;
- Good problem solving and social skills;
- Good interpersonal skills to work effectively with different stakeholders including different communities in the target areas, humanitarian actors, service providers, local and national authorities;
- Previous experience working in West Africa is an added advantage
Deployment Security Protocols:
North East Nigeria is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the H&N Coordinator will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country. Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2F0cmluYW1pbGxlci44MDI4NS4zODMwQGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Abuja (Nigeria)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-02-13