DRC Country Director for the Central African Republic
Are you the strong, driven humanitarian leader we are looking for to represent The Danish Refugee Council in the Central African Republic? If you have a keen interest and capability to take on this top leadership role developing one of DRC’s largest and most complex country operations - where DRC plays a critical role in providing protection, emergency relief and humanitarian leadership - then we would like to hear from you.
About the programme
DRC has been operating in the Central African Republic since 2007, providing assistance to the displaced and communities affected by the conflict. DRC has four operational bases in the country, in the prefectures of Ouham, Ouham-Pende and Bamingui-Bangoran as well as in the capital of Bangui, with more than 450 national staff and 35 expatriate staff.
DRC provides assistance to IDPs, refugees from neighbouring countries and other communities affected by the conflict. DRC operates within three main pillars of assistance – emergency relief activities, protection, and socioeconomic recovery. In particular, DRC has extensive protection experience in CAR and DRC aims to comprehensively deal with both the causes and the consequences of protection failures, while at the same time enhancing the resilience capacities of the affected populations.
The Country Director will be responsible for representing DRC’s interests in CAR with the government, donors and other key stakeholders such as in Executive Committee of the NGO Coordination Forum (CCO) and the Humanitarian Coordination Team, where DRC is a member. You will develop and build our programme profile in line with the global DRC strategy. You will also be responsible to lead and direct your team to achieve programme excellence, doing so with an involved and hands-on approach.
A key task for the Country Director will be to ensure that the country operation maintains DRC’s emergency response capacity in the volatile environment in CAR whilst progressively expanding DRC’s capacity and role in recovery and durable solutions.
About the job
The primary task of the Country Director will be to lead the operation of presently 12 million USD in this highly volatile and sensitive environment to promote the most effective relief and protection to the conflict and displacement affected populations in CAR. The Country Director will have the overall responsibility for the day to day leadership of the country programme and senior management group. More specifically, the Country Director will:
- Represent DRC in CAR to partners, donors and duty bearers, and to promote an optimal operational space for pursuing DRC’s strategic priorities in coordination with all relevant entities.
- Set the strategic direction of DRC’s operation in CAR in consultation with the HQ Head of Division and HQ support unit and in line with the corporate strategic direction and interests.
- Ensure that the programme is organised and managed in order to pursue opportunities while at the same time operate in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines.
- Responsible for the timely and efficient implementation, management and reporting on the resources entrusted DRC in CAR by our donors and partners.
- Overall responsible for risk management and especially for the safety and duty of care for national and international staff.
The CD reports directly to the DRC Head of Division in Copenhagen HQ and will receive daily support from a dedicated team based in DRC HQ as well as supporting functions in Security, Emergency preparedness and management, and Donor, Grants, and Risk management.
To be successful in this role you need to have:
- Minimum 6 years of management experience in emergency contexts for a humanitarian agency.
- Demonstrated security management experience.
- Proven experience working with protection issues within the context of refugees and IDPs.
- Previous experience from working in the Central African Republic or elsewhere in the region is a strong advantage or in emergency contexts such as Afghanistan, South Sudan, Yemen etc.
- Solid experience with financial management, human resource development and logistics.
- Relevant educational background (e.g. political science, international development, economics).
- A strong ability to collaborate, network and negotiate with Local partners; Governments, UN, donors and other NGOs including proven experience in developing fundraising strategies.
- Fluency in French and English.
Your personal qualities
You have always had the ability to motivate and guide staff working in complex and unpredictable environments and thrive with the capacity building side of your job. You are known to be a strong and confident leader; who on the one hand is inclusive, approachable and good at delegating with while on the other hand is not afraid to stand alone and take tough decisions, all the while able to focus on managing your country at a strategic level.
You have a natural talent for working analytically and find that you excel in tasks concerning negotiation, advocacy and interpersonal communication. Last, but not least, you thrive by working in complex emergency operation within a changing and insecure environment and as a result have a natural ability to work well under pressure - that mirrors your solid personal stamina.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Starting date: 15 February
Duty station: Bangui, Central African Republic. Please note that this is a non-family duty station.
Contract: The right candidate may be offered a contract of up to two years. Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. Please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. The position will be placed at salary level A3 equal to a large DRC country operation.
For specific information as to the announcement, please contact the Programme and Operations Coordinator, Ms Anna Catherine de Laine, on +45 3373 5203, or the DRC Head of Division for Stand-Alone Countries, Mr Christian Jacob Hansen, on +45 3373 3036. For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Please note that we only accept applications sent via our online system at www.drc.dk here. Applications sent directly to Mr. Hansen or Ms. de Laine will not be considered. Please remember to upload both a letter of application and your CV and do not attach any written recommendations.
Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. Please submit the application and CV, in English and marked “Country Director, CAR”, no later than 3 January 2016.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Bangui
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-01-03