Child Protection Adviser
Lesbos (Greece) | Greece
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 3 months
The Child Protection Strategy in Greece focuses on enhancing the protection of children on the move in Greece.
The overall role of the Child Protection Adviser is to act as a deputy to the Senior Child Protection Adviser and to support the development of the Emergency Child Protection Programme in Greece.
The role holder responsible to oversee the quality of the implementation of the programme, and assist in providing technical advice and support to the Child Protection Programme Managers at field level.
The Child Protection Adviser will help provide guidance and training for Save the Children, NGO partner staff and other key stakeholders. The Child Protection Adviser will report to and work closely with the Senior Child Protection Advisor, who is responsible for providing overall technical guidance for the Child Protection Strategy in Greece.
Qualifications and experience
- A university degree in Social Work, Human rights Law, International Relations, Development Studies or similar, or equivalent field experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of child protection experience preferably in the context of mixed migration flows and transit populations, children on the move and children separated from their families
- Significant management experience working in an emergency response contexts or fragile states
- Good team leader and team member skills, including the ability to be part of and organise, support, manage and develop a small team;
- Good knowledge of and experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines in child protection, such as the Inter-agency Guiding Principles on Unaccompanied and Separated Children, IA Case Management Guidelines and others;
- Understanding and experience of working on Children on the Move issues and of putting in places responses to prevent and respond to family separation
- Experience in designing and delivering training on CP, including strengthening the capacity of key stakeholders to prevent and respond to child protection issues;
- Experience of working with partners and of using a participatory approach as well as of coordinating responses with a range of actors, including Government authorities, national/local organisations, NGOs, UN;
- Ability to achieve results and maintain consistent high standards of professional behaviour and achievement, including when working alone;
- Ability to manage stress, be flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstance;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Budget development and financial monitoring skills;
- Commitment to and understanding of child rights, as well as of Save the Children's aims, values and principles;
- Greek/Arabic/Farsi language skills
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'GLemonis.email@example.com'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Lesbos (Greece) | Greece
- Grade: Mid level
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Animal Health and Veterinary
- Education, Learning and Training
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Social Affairs
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2015-12-30