Deputy Director, Technical Division
New York City
The Deputy Director post in the Technical Division (TD) is located at UNFPA Headquarters and reports to the Director of the Division. S/He represents the Division in the absence of the Director and is a member of the Programme and the Management Committee. He/she assists the Director in the management, coordination, and substantive oversight of the work of the Division, sharing specific substantive responsibilities with the Director and ensuring an integrated, synergistic and coherent systems approach to their work, and the work of the Division as a whole.
The Deputy Director serves as the Director’s principal adviser on substantive issues as well as provides substantive support to the direction, planning, management, implementation and monitoring of the work of the Division. In addition to assisting the TD Director with ensuring overall coordination and collaboration within TD, throughout the UNFPA technical network, with the Programme Division, including the Humanitarian Response Branch, with Regional Offices; and across UNFPA as a whole, to enhance the timeliness, relevance and quality of technical outputs.
The Deputy Director also has primary responsibility for the following key roles, which impact on all Technical Division activities:
- Policy analysis and strategic planning
- Technical leadership and coordination
- Technical oversight and representation
- Management of resources
The Deputy takes the lead in operationalizing the work of the Division, and in this respect also ensures that there is congruence between the substantive and technical goals and objectives within resource availability.
A. Policy Analysis and Strategic Planning
- Coordinate and oversee the work of a core team to analyze major social and economic trends, global and regional developments and their impact on the strategic direction and development policy of UNFPA;
- Support the Director to maintain ongoing dialogue and follow-up with global financial and development institutions and think tanks;
- Support the Director in strategic planning and in identifying priorities for the work of the Division and its Branches;
- Lead the operationalization of the work of the Division;
- Coordinate the process of scanning the environment on substantive issues and advise on the implications for the work of the Fund and the Division;
- Coordinate the Division’s input to the overall UNFPA strategic planning process;
- Support the Director in the strategic positioning of UNFPA on all substantive issues; and,
- Interpret and oversee implementation of decisions and resolutions of the Executive Committee, the Executive Board and the Executive Director which pertain to the Division, in coordination with the Director.
B. Technical leadership and coordination
- Ensure coordination of policy formulation, technical support and strategic planning from an overall Division and organization-wide perspective;
- Lead and guide the Division’s contribution to the knowledge sharing system;
- Lead the development of inter-agency frameworks, initiatives and partnerships;
- Facilitate the coordination of TD inputs into strategic global events, global advocacy and communications, and, fund-raising; and,
- Oversee the coordination and the preparation of various reports such as the annual report, reports to the Executive Board, and responses to the Board of Auditors.
C. Technical support and representation
- Provide corporate policy guidance and support Division staff in all phases of their activities to ensure coherence with organizational/national/regional priorities and development frameworks as well as consistency with principles of results-based management;
- Represent the Division and participate in inter-divisional and inter-agency committees and meetings, as requested; and represent the Division in the absence of the Director;
- Manage the process of ensuring that Monitoring and Evaluation are inherent to all the work of the Division and oversee the work of the Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
- Coordinate the UNFPA technical delivery system and ensure the implementation of the quality assurance systems;
- Ensure effective information and knowledge sharing across the Division, and ensure the Division’s products are incorporated into the wider UNFPA knowledge sharing system;
- Coordinate technical support and inputs to all HQ Divisions to ensure the accuracy, consistency and quality of substantive issues in advocacy, communications, resource mobilization, and evaluations;
D. Management of resources
- Support the TD Director in all aspects of Division management as required;
- Lead and manage the process of preparing the annual Division office management and development results work plans plan ensuring conformity with current UNFPA priorities;
- Oversee the projection of the Division’s resource requirements and their subsequent allocation and management; monitor and periodically brief the Director on the status of programme implementation; and, recommend required adjustment in resources to ensure the achievement of results;
- Support the Director in monitoring the management and implementation of Branch annual work plans ;
- Provide guidance and support to Division staff on finance, human resources, procurement and office management practices, ensuring compliance with UNFPA policies and procedures;
- Guide the preparation of the Division’s component of the UNFPA global programme, oversee its management, and ensure its quality, and achievement of results;
- Support the Director T.D., in cooperation with DHR, to ensure that staff management issues are adequately addressed, and are in line with the vision of the HR Strategy and UNFPA policies and procedures;
- Contribute to the Director’s performance assessment of Branch Chiefs and other technical staff; collaborate with DHR/Division Director in assessing information on the suitability of candidates for recruitment, coordinate briefing/orientation of newly selected chiefs and technical advisers;
- Promote opportunities for staff collaboration as well as staff development at all levels, and identify and oversee Division-wide learning activities;
- Promote a team-based, harmonious working environment that recognizes initiative, openness and performance; and,
- Monitor implementation of Audit recommendations by the Division;
- Support the Director in ensuring an ethics-based approach to management of all human and financial resources; and,
E. The Deputy Director will manage and coordinate special programmes as required or requested by senior management.
Undertake any other special high-level and complex assignments as requested by the Director
Post-graduate university degree (preferably Ph.D.) in one or more of the following disciplines: Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field
Knowledge and Experience:
- 15 years experience of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Job knowledge and technical expertise – the incumbent is expected to be a world class expert and recognized authority in the area of Reproductive Health; Population and Development; or, Gender;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams of high level experts to achieve demonstrable results;
- Extensive network within the academic and development community;
- Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing in English;
- Strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations; and,
- Field experience is a strong asset.
Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.