Social Policy Manager, P-4, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Purpose of the Position
The Social Policy Manager is accountable for effective engagement in social policy dialogue with the Government for programme development, advocating for increased public resource allocation and budgeting towards the social sector and sustainable decentralization of social services and local capacity building in support of the goal of universal coverage of essential social services and the creation of a protective environment for children. Conducts data collection and analysis to fill information gaps and to strengthen capacity for advocacy for children's rights, and to support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the World Fit for Children (WFFC) agenda.
Key Expected Results
- Constructive dialogue and partnerships are established between international and local social policy stakeholders, to provide effective protective environment for the most vulnerable children, including progressive compliance of principal policy documents and legislation regarding all aspects of child rights.
- Current information on state budget and spending patterns and decentralization status of social services are monitored and updated on an on-going basis to support advocacy for decentralization and universal coverage of essential services.
- Decentralization of social services is made sustainable through adequate local support, keeping decentralized services both accessible and effective. Programme plans of action are developed for children at provincial and district/municipality levels; coordination between sectors are increased and links between different levels of government structures for policy implementation are strengthened.
- Data-driven analysis is provided for effective prioritization, planning, development, and results-based management for planning, adjusting, and scaling-up specific social policy initiatives.
- Advocacy efforts are effectively made to raise awareness on children's rights with both the general public and with policy makers, and to ensure local buy-in and continued relevance of UNICEF programming.
- Effective partnerships with the Government and other agencies established to enable sustained and proactive commitment to the Convention of the Rights of the Child and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for continuing worldwide progress of the UNICEF mission.
- UNICEF social policy programme effectively planned, implemented and managed in support of the country programme and integrated into UNDAF and national development strategy.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, International Finance, public relations, media, communication, or other relevant disciplines.
- Eight years of relevant work experience in social policy dialogue and/or economic analysis, social protection and evidence-based advocacy, programme development, planning and implementation, inter-agency and coordination experience, resource mobilization and effective donor relationships.
- Developing country work experience or field work experience.
- Experience in integrating UN social protection initiatives in planning, UNDAF formulation and national development strategies. Awareness of Sustainable Development Goals and how to translate into action.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency (oral and written) in both English and French is required.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
This is a project funded post with funds available for one (1) year.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Vacancy position link:
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Port-au-Prince
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Social Affairs
- Operations and Administrations
- Social Affairs
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2016-01-04