CommCare Senior Officer - Ugandan National
Kitgum (Uganda) | Kampala
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is an international non-governmental organization founded in 1933. The IRC works in 28 countries providing relief, protection and resettlement assistance to refugees and displaced population. IRC was registered in Uganda in mid 1998 and implements rehabilitation activities in the sectors of Child and Youth Protection and development, Health, Economic recovery and Development and women protection and empowerment as well as contributing to the response to the Southern Sudanese Refugee situation. IRC Uganda has a head office in Kampala, field offices in Kitgum, Karamoja and in Kiyrandongo.
Evidence-based interventions to reduce child morbidity and mortality represent a main area of focus for the IRC health team; this includes immunization programming. Over the last two decades, improvements in vaccine technology, cold chain equipment and global financing have resulted in substantial improvements in immunization coverage. But the job is unfinished: vaccine coverage in developing countries remains stuck at less than 80%. This means that one in five children in the developing world – over 22 million children each year – faces an increased chance of death or a crippling disability simply because they did not receive basic childhood immunizations.
It has become clear that the tools used by governments, organizations and others to reach children are insufficient to achieve complete immunization coverage. The IRC is currently working with the ministries of health in Uganda to close this gap ensuring that every child receives the life-saving vaccines to which they have the basic right. We are in the process of scaling-up an mHealth platform to enable health care workers to identify children who are under or unimmunized and promptly serve unvaccinated children.
The CommCare Senior Officer will be responsible for gathering requirements and implementing CommCare, a data management platform that can be accessed online through a Website and both on/offline via a mobile application. This includes support, troubleshooting, data analysis and iteration of the CommCare tool as well as the data management and quality audit functions for the routine data collected under the immunization project. This position will work closely with, and be technically supported by, the Health Unit’s Immunization Research Specialist and Immunization Technical Advisor as well as the Uganda Health Technical Coordinator.
Support the implementation, troubleshooting, analysis, and reporting of CommCare tool and oversee the collection, quality and analysis of the routine data from the immunization project.
Specific tasks include:
- Troubleshoot mHealth tool in field and escalate issues to Health Unit mHealth Specialist immediately, if unable to resolve
- Adapt mHealth tool as data on feasibility and acceptability is collected
- Monitor HCW activity to ensure that forms are being submitted and phones are being synced with server
- Lead data analysis and data quality auditing related to the mHealth intervention
- Analyze routine data collection and facilitate program team to determine actions needed
- Ensure data is available for routine reporting
- Train health care workers on use of mHealth tool (related to both the functionality of the hardware and the capability/functions of the software)
- Continuously mentor health workers on use of mHealth tool.
Learning and documentation
- Document learning and actions throughout process
- Submit documents on learning at least once a quarter
- Represent IRC Uganda at mHealth and other related forums as the need may arise
- Masters in Information Technology or Masters in related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with the implementation of mHealth programs. Previous work in field of public health required.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Experience in training groups of non-technical users on data collection methodologies and the use of mHealth applications for data entry, management and analysis
- Ability to explain how new technologies many streamline data management processes and how it can best integrated into existing systems
- Experience implementing mobile-based development projects
- Experience troubleshooting and implementing technology in rural areas
- Experience programming / designing mHealth solutions
- Possesses technical capabilities with software and mobiles as well as confidence in Excel
- Understanding of northern Ugandan context preferred
Follow http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=13109 to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female and Ugandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available, position open to Ugandan Nationals only
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Kitgum (Uganda) | Kampala
- Grade: Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2016-01-15