Consultant - International Gender Research & Statistics for the Central Statistics Organization (CSO) for 3rd Survey on Women and Men
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners. To ensure greater cohesion between the program areas, UN Women’s internal structure is in three pillars: Elimination of Violence against Women Pillar (EVAWP), Political and Economic and Empowerment (PEEP), and Coordination and Advocacy Pillar (CAP). This post is under CAP policy, but to coach Central Statistic Office in updating and editing the Men and Women 3rd survey. The incumbent of this post is to prepare procedures, tools, train the CSO personnel, monitor the survey implementation, prepare timeline, analyze the data and prepare the report.
UN Women has been actively supporting the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GOIRA) in establishing a sound data system for gender sensitive planning, and policy and decision making. UN Women assisted the government in conducting survey of men and women in decision making to reflect the result of women and men activities related data in the report, this will enable the national and international institutions to develop effective policies, programs for mainstreaming gender equality also help the CSO. In view of the above, UN Women Afghanistan Country Office is contracting an international consultant to coach CSO in preparation of the 3rd survey on women and men in decision making in Afghanistan, including designing, updating and editing the report, compare with the past versions to fill gaps and include lessons learned.
The individual will also ensure to increase technical skills and ensure a transfer of knowledge and capacity. Under the overall guidance of the Gender Specialist and direct supervision of the CAP Deputy Program Manager and Head of Demography Department of CSO. For the direct guidance related to the day to day management, the consultant shall report to CAP Deputy Program Manager, and will be based in CSO.
Description of Responsibilities :
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare, validate and finalize the questionnaires for conducting the survey;
- Provide technical support and coach CSO staff in monitoring the survey implementation for conceptualization, data consolidation, and validation and ensure quality of the survey report is of high standard acceptable to the CSO and UN Women. Train and coach the CSO relevant staff involved in implementation of the Survey.
Prepare the final survey report in collaboration with CSO technical relevant staff:
- Prepare, validate and finalize the questionnaires for conducting the survey (Kabul);
- Develop detailed guideline to ensure the right procedures followed during conducting of the survey;
- Develop training manual to train CSO staff on gender statistics data collection;
- Conduct two (2) trainings sessions for CSO (specify the duration for each session), staff and line ministries on gender statistics data collection.
- Training materials inducing questioner on gender statistics data collection developed and participatory training conducted.
- 44 working days Kabul Based. Applicant is requested to provide his/her own estimate of number of working days required for this part of assignment with justification.
Provide technical support and coach CSO staff in monitoring the survey implementation for conceptualization, data consolidation, and validation and ensure quality of the survey report is of high standard acceptable to the CSO and UN Women.
- Review the tabulated data sets for the survey and validate the facts presented in the report;
- Ensure quality data and information collection by providing coaching sessions and technical support to CSO staff;
- Support in drafting and analysis of the report from the collected information and data tables;
- Analyze and process the collected data in coordination with CSO technical staff.
- Technical support and coaching of CSO staff ensured.
- 66 working days Home based. Applicant is requested to provide his/her own estimate of number of working days required for this part of assignment with justification.
Prepare final survey report in collaboration with CSO technical relevant staff (Home-based):
- Review the survey draft report and support in further analyzing;
- Ensure quality report, draw up additional analysis from the current data presentation;
- Strengthen and develop recommended graphs, tables, or charts that will make the report more understandable in interesting to lay readers;
- Review and edit the final English draft of the narrative report and polish the narrative style of the survey report;
- Confer with CSO and UN Women to endorse the report or incorporate changes as may be suitable to the desired improvement of the survey report;
- Develop presentations on the main findings of the survey report for launch purpose;
- A quality survey prepared and launched.
22 working days Home-based. Applicant is requested to provide his/her own estimate of number of working days required for this part of assignment with justification. Competencies :
Strong and proven integrity, time management, work prioritization skills, ability to multi-task/ work under pressure and handle numerous tasks simultaneously in timely manner;
Understanding of UN Women/Afghanistan Government and CSO procedures, rules and regulations an asset;
Ability to work effectively as a team member;
Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact and courtesy in relation to gender equality and women’s rights, development principles and projects, implementing partners, and national and international personnel of varied nationalities and backgrounds;
Excellent communication skills, written and oral;
Commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of UN Women. Qualifications :
- Master’s degree on statistics or any other related field.
- Minimum of seven years of relevant professional experience and track record in the gender research, collection, processing and analysis of gender related studies and statistics;
- Solid background in gender responsive organizational development (OD)
- Experience in working with government agencies on gender and/or statistics;
- Demonstrated skills in use of statistical data for analysis and research;
- Knowledge of the statistical and research environment in Afghanistan will be an asset;
- Excellent English technical writing and editing skills; and
- Ability to deliver outputs on time, handle multiple tasks and work under stressful situations.
- Fluent written and spoken English language skills, familiarity with Dari and Pashto language is an asset.
The contract is based on deliverables. Payments will be made upon receipt of the deliverable duly signed by the direct supervisor and based on the endorsement of the ACO’s senior management.
All travel related expenditures and applicable DSA will be based on the UN Women policy.
Timeframes and Institutional Arrangements
The consultant is expected to be engaged for 132 working days within six months period. S/he will be based in Central Statistics Office (CSO) for the duration of assignment. **
All interested candidates should apply online through the mentioned link:
All applicants must submit the following documents/ information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Cover letter: Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work and how they propose to implement this assignment;
- Financial proposal: considering the given timeline for each component, estimated number of days and the rate of daily fees;
- Personal CV /UN P-11, including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
Applications not containing all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for an interview.