General Service Manager
General Description of GOAL’s Work in Niger
GOAL has been present in Niger since 2005 mainly responding to the food crises and humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable communities. GOAL Niger has continuously supported the population of Mirriah, Goure, Matamaye, Magaria and Kantache, districts in Zinder Region. Over the years activities have ranged across various sectors of community-based programmes in Nutrition, Agriculture, Food Security, Livelihoods, Environmental management, rehabilitation of schools and WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene).
GOAL is scaling up and expanding its programme in Zinder and Diffa Regions in Niger and is looking for a highly competent and committed individual to be an integral part of the GOAL team in Niger.
Overall Objectives of the position:
The General Service Manager (GSM) provides strong leadership as a member of senior management team, promotes good stewardship, directly oversees the Logistics Department and ensures that logistics can operate at maximum efficiency while adhering to GOAL’s logistics procedures and to provide full support to Area Coordinators and Senior Management Team.
The individual aspects of the role include but are not limited to:
- Procurement and Donor Accountability;
- Transporting Supplies, including Customs Clearance;
- Warehousing and Stock Management, including Donations-in-Kind;
- Asset Management;
- Insurance Requirements;
- Fleet Management;
- Communications Systems;
- Compound Management;
- Capacity Building and Personnel Management;
- Policy development in any area of logistics specific to Niger operations;
- Planning and preparing all logistics aspects of emergency preparedness;
- Liaison with country authorities;
- Operational Management and Planning;
- Ensuring compliance to GOAL and Donor policy and guidelines;
- Deputy security focal point.
The position holder will be reporting to the Country Director (CD) on all logistical field activities, administrative and technical matters.
- Provide support and leadership for GOAL Niger logistics and programme teams, facilitating effective programme development and implementation.
- Manage all Logistics functions (fleet, warehousing, assets, procurement) and IT to facilitate support for current and future programmes in line with GOAL policies and procedures.
- A member of the Senior Management team, contributing to the ongoing development of the country programme.
- Assist the ACs/CD in the management of the Security Plan and monitor staff understanding and implementation of the plan at all levels.
- Ensure that local managers are aware of all donor compliance policies, and carry out training as needed.
- Ensure that all Communications systems and equipment are managed in accordance with GOAL procedures and policies
- Ensure the management of the Compounds, security & safety practices are in place against the needs identified in the security plans and protocols
- Assist in the arranging of internal conferences and forums for various levels of logistics department.
- Develop external stakeholder liaison/relationships to maintain linkage with other NGOs, UN, etc.
- Attend and input to the GMMs
- Management of all logistical operations in all GN sites.
- Ensure that daily logistics operations are in support of programme activities
- Ensure GOAL vehicles, mounted communications equipment and drivers meet GOAL safety and security standards
- Improving cost-effectiveness by saving time or money through use of: framework contracts, improved coordination of purchasing and transport with programme coordinators and managers
- Ensure compliance of logistic operations with GOAL Manuals and policies and with within Donor requirements.
- Ensure the logistics report is submitted to Dublin, through the CD in a timely manner as per the report timetable.
- Ensure that the logistics/finance/programme cross over meetings are held, minuted and actions are followed up
- Ensure that the GOAL fleet serves the needs of the programme.
- Ensure the Logistics Checklist is completed for all new proposals together with Programme team
- Liaise effectively with programme staff in proposal development and procurement planning so that requests can be anticipated and inputs delivered in a timely manner and in accordance with procurement procedures.
- Liaise effectively with programme and finance staff on the closure of programmes to ensure assets and stock are disposed of in accordance with policy
- Ensure all new hires for logistics are properly inducted and trained.
- Ensure implementation of staff performance management system in logistics.
- Promote an organization environment which is fair, open, protective and which fosters a learning culture.
- Ensure that a robust system of controls is in place.
- To maintain and update all Job Descriptions of logistics personnel to ensure adequacy, standards and compliance.
- To liaise with HR/Admin Officer in recruiting and discipline procedures of the staff in accordance with GOAL HR policy and Niger Labour Law
- Monitor and approve all for logistics staff annual leave.
- Coordinate with Country HR Manger on personnel issues.
- Develop an annual training plan for logistics staff.
- Ensure that Logistics succession planning is developed in coordination with annual planning.
- Assist the ACs in ensure that the IT planning reflects programme priorities.
- Provide support and oversight for IT related issues including adherence to IT guidelines.
- Liaise with Dublin IT support in relation to IT maintenance and IT equipment management and formatting.
- Liaise with the HR/Admin manager in Niamey on the anti-virus updates for IT.
- Ensure that regular back-ups and virus checks are carried out.
- Ensure that GOAL’s Financial Guidelines are adhered to related to the logistics functions, reporting any breaches to the Financial Manager/CD.
- Review of the monthly core costs BMT with the ACs
- Support the CD and the ACs in the preparation of the annual core cost budgets for GOAL Niger, and revisions as needed.
- Support the Area Coordinators and Country Director in the management of Security.
- Assist in the implementation of GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures and that staff are familiar with the guidelines and procedures to ensure staff adhere to security protocols.
- Reporting to the CD on any security breaches identified.
- With the CD/ACs, periodically review the specific security guidelines.
- Ensure all office and accommodation meet basic security standards, including fire prevention, lock down and evacuation procedures.
- Assist in monitoring the security situation and provide regular information to the CD/ACs of any incidents, changes or adverse conditions affecting staff safety or project operations in the region.
- Assist with the coordinate the regular reviews of all relevant manuals and their roll out.
- Act as the security focal point in the absence of the CD.
- Minimum 5 years experience in logistics management with an INGO/International Agency
- Masters degree in relevant field (global logistics etc) preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken French
- Fluency in spoken and written English (preferred)
- Good interpersonal and motivational skills
- Experience in budget management (preferred)
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Team player
- Experience in managing staff safety and security requirements and good analytical skills of political and security situations.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Niamey
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-01-24