SIERRA LEONE - Health Coordinator
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission.
For more details on the association: www.handicap-international.fr and review our job offers: http://www.handicap-international.fr/emploi
Over the last 2 years Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea have faced the Ebola outbreak that lead to the death of 3,589 Sierra Leones and 4,808 Liberians and about 4,000 survivors in Sierra Leone. The end of the year 2015 and the beginning of 2016 represent the transition period of the outbreak and the handover of the capacity of Ebola management (in case of resurgence of the outbreak) by the International community to the Governments.
Handicap International is present in the Mano River region since 1996. From 2008, HI started a switch from its operational approach in both countries. Due to major security improvements, and political stability, the international community started supporting Governments of Sierra Leone and Liberia to implement mid and long term development projects. For HI, this evolution meant the possibility to start expanding its activities not only on service delivery but also on strengthening capacities of local stakeholders to deal with disability issues.
2016 fundraising will focus during the recovery of these 2 countries on Physical Rehabilitation, Mother and Child Health and Mental health, protection, livelihood, social mobilization and education mainly.
The program is actively seeking to develop the Health sector in both counties. Concept Notes for both countries have been developed :
• Improvement of the sexual and reproductive health and quality of life of girls and women with disabilities.
• Protection and reduction of the impact of psychosocial distress or trauma of children.
• Mother and Child Health
• Physical Rehabilitation
• Physical Therapy and Psychosocial support to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) survivors
As Health Coordinator, you are part of the senior management team of the Mano River Program and directly under the line management of the Program Director. Your main responsibility is to develop Health Sector with a focus on physical rehabilitation, MCH and Mental Health activities in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
In addition, you will support the effective and technical management of the EVD survivors project.
Your main tasks are as follow:
• Representation : coordination and information meetings linked with Health (clusters, Health NGO coordination, etc.), representation of the organization, its activities and programs during delegation visits (in coordination with Program Director)
• Strategic development of the program with a focus on the HI health strategy (proposals and concept note)
• Development of a Technical Unit based on transversal needs for HI interventions and on projects in development.
• Project Management : you ensure the implementation of the ongoing and forthcoming projects
• Health Focal point of the Program
Skills & experiences:
• You are a qualified health professional (nurse, doctor, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, midwife, etc.)
• You can justify of at least 3 years of clinical / technical experience in the health sector
• You have an experience in health or disability development program
• You are experienced in project cycle management and reports writing
• You have skills in capacity building
• You are able to deal with a large range of stakeholders
• You are keen on traveling and evolve within a multicultural environment
• You are known for your interpersonal and organisational skills
REQUIRED LANGUAGE SKILLS: You perfectly speak and write in English
• This position is open to couple and involves several travels across Sierra Leone and in Liberia
• The end of Ebola outbreak was declared in Sierra Leone on 7th November 2015 and in Liberia on September 3rd 2015. Nevertheless, risk of new cases is still present.
• Sierra Leone and Liberia are countries on Health Focus in HI. There is a high risk of malaria throughout the countries.
• General security conditions are good
• Large expatriate community
Salary: 2300 - 2500 € gross salary/month + 457 Euros net/month expatriation allowance + 50% of the medical cover taken in charge by HI + repatriation insurance + indemnity for partner and children
Send resume and cover letter by this link : https://hi.profilsearch.com/recrute/fr/fo_annonce_voir.php?id=1282&idpartenaire=136
- Organization: Handicap International
- Location: Freetown (Sierra Leone)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2016-01-17