Director of Support Services
Purpose of the Position
Reporting to the General Director, MSF Korea seeks a Director of Support Services (DSS) for the strategic direction and leadership of the Support Services department (Finance, HR, Administration, ICT).
The DSS supports the organization to provide the highest quality of support to MSF’s social mission - via an effective, efficient, ethical, transparent, and accountable stewardship of MSF Korea’s assets.
The Director ensures a consistently high level of support to the MSF Korea office for all activities related to financial analysis, budgetary planning, financial reporting, managerial accounting, ICT services and initiatives, office management, infrastructure, and administrative support, as well as staff development and HR policies.
Confident, experienced, and highly effective, the Director of the Support Services leads a team composed – as of December 2015 -by a Finance Admin Manager, a Finance Officer, an Admin Officer and a Human Resources Manager.
The DSS is member of the Leadership Management Team (LMT) and uses his/her well-honed financial acumen and analytical skills to participate in organizational decision-making ensuring compliance with legislation and international organizational standards, while providing innovative alternatives and creative solutions with a view to advancing the vision outlines in MSF Korea’s strategic directions.
The DSS will represent MSF Korea in international platforms. The DSS will be in regular contacts with his counterparts in OCG (Operational Centre Geneva) and MSF Japan. For all human resources related matters, the DSS will work in close conjunction with the Director of Human resources of MSF Japan/Korea (shared position) until a hand over of responsibility is completed by end of 2016.
Objective of the Position
The DSS enables MSF Korea to achieve its objectives by:
• Liaising with the General Director (GD) in the oversight of all administrative, HR and finance matters,
• Ensuring that the finance component meets the highest MSF standards and takes into account the legal requirements of the Republic of Korea in order to manage with the highest standards the MSF Korea budget,
• Defining and implementing appropriate financial tools in order to reinforce the capacity of the office to meet our objectives and optimize the available resources,
• Mitigating the financial and resource risks,
• Defining and implementing HR policies and strategies at the highest standards,
• Assessing HR needs and proposing adequate set up in order to meet our 2020 objectives and smoothly accompanying the growing of our office,
• Overseeing specific files as delegated by the GD,
• Supporting the development and review of the multi-year strategic plan with a special focus on ensuring a proper correlation between plans and resources allocated,
• Direct support to the GD in the internal management of MSF Korea with a special focus on coaching and staff development (in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources in 2016).
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
• Ensure a qualitative budget follow up in conjunction with others department and enable effective resource allocation decisions,
• Analyze financial data, makes forecasts, risks analysis, and appraises MSF Korea’s financial position, issuing periodic update or reports on financial stability, liquidity, and growth to the LMT ,
• With the management team, identify any significant discrepancies between the budget and actual expenses and pro-actively suggest any necessary corrective action,
• Develop, implement, review and strengthen financial policies on internal controls and operating procedures,
• Co-ordinates the preparation of financial statements, financial analyses and managerial reports, correcting projection accordingly when appropriate,
• Oversee and directs treasury, payroll, audit, tax, accounting, and long-range forecasting,
• Direct the preparation and issuance of the financial section of MSF Korea’s annual report and other public information tools to present MSF Korea’s financial results and practices in a transparent manner to the Korean authorities, donors and the general public,
• Monitor compliance with regulatory requirements of the Korean authorities and supervise all financial reports
to be submitted in a timely and accurate manner to the Korean authorities (such as tax declaration and financial
• Assures establishment and compliance with internal procedures related to: banking, segregation of duties, and
security of financial data. Supports consistent improvements to all MSF Korea’s financial processes and evaluates financial project reports,
• Coordinate MSF Korea’s response to reviews or audits by external agencies. Oversees annual audits (national
and international) to assess effectiveness of controls, accuracy of financial records, and efficiency of operations, all in compliance with MSF International Accounting Standards, Korean Legislation, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP),
• Proactively liaise with other MSF offices to ensure, when possible, compliance and harmonization with best
• Supervise accurate accounting records,
• Ensure the accurate and timely annual closure of the accounts and production of the Statutory Accounts,
• Supervise the annual audit and reporting for MSF International into the MSF Combined Accounts.
Human Resource Management (time frame to be defined in 2016)
• Advise the LMT on organizational set up and opportunities for development,
• In conjunction with the HR manager, conduct annual review meetings with each LMT member to plan and understand future needs and review staff development plans,
• Approve salary quotations and any changes in terms and conditions,
• Support/Monitor the HR Manager and the admin for all administration polices (absence, unpaid leave, seniority, exit, etc),
• Assist line managers in recruitment interviews when required,
• Ensure the office environment and staff relations are conducive to achieving objectives,
• Review and approve HR reporting and indicators,
• Coach and support team in defining implementation strategies for annual goals, and evaluating team progress against KPIs,
• Support, coach and foster a culture of feedback and recognition leading the team towards a high-performance,
collaborative culture. Oversee the hire of additional support staff or volunteers.
ICT & Administration
• Develop and monitor the ICT strategy in collaboration with the Admin Officer and oversee the delivery of ICT support and services for the MSF Korea office.
• Oversee the smooth running of MSF Korea’s administrative support services including reception, travel, purchasing and inventory, event support, records, volunteer management, and all physical aspects of the office and related infrastructure, maximizing utilization of services and equipment.
• Ensure the smooth administration of MSF Korea offices, including negotiating office building lease terms and planning necessary large-scale renovation or remodels.
• Organize adequate insurance coverage for all general office needs, including office, general liability, travel, staff indemnity and ad hoc events, and supports HR in workers compensation negotiation.
• **Undertake other ad hoc tasks as required by the GD,
• Represent MSF Korea in MSF International and International meetings,
• Contribute to the MSF movement by participating in specific working sessions and dossiers,
• Actively contribute to the positioning of MSF Korea by having an active participation to strategic meetings.
Qualifications & requirements
1. Education and experience
• Degree in a related field (e.g. Business Administration, Commerce, General Management) or equivalent.
• Professional accounting designation is preferred.
• At least 5 years progressive experience in Finance and Administration, with a Human Resource aspect, including at least two years at a senior level, preferably in an INGO, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience and knowledge of MSF functioning and financial structure is a plus.
2. Values and Competencies:
• Commitment to the values, principles and objectives of MSF
• Fluency in English is essential; candidates with fluency in Korean or French will be given additional consideration.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills with a capacity to influence
• Results-oriented with proven expertise in developing and managing large budgets, financial reporting, auditing, automated financial systems, compliance, establishment of internal controls, designing and implementing processes to increase the efficacy of a growing organization
• Impeccable judgment with strong interpersonal, networking, and diplomacy skills in the management of stakeholder expectations
• Rigorous and analytical thinking, able to balance the big picture and maintain necessary attention to detail.
• Ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner
• Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing team, enhancing motivation, development and performance via constructive feedback and ensuring strategic alignment with organizational goals
• Experience overseeing the effective implementation and ongoing management of HR policies.
Dynamic candidates with relevant qualifications who are interested to apply may submit a letter of motivation and CV, including 3 professional references to: email@example.com Only electronic applications in English will be accepted. Applicants will be screened as they apply, and the post will close on January 22, 2016. We thank you for your interest; kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.