Technical Unit Coordinator- IRAQ
Erbil (Iraq) | Baghdad
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission.
For more details on the association: www.handicap-international.fr
Handicap International has 2 Directions:
- The Humanitarian Action Direction (DAH)
- The Developpement Action Direction (DAD)
HI is present in Iraq since the 1991 (almost 20 years) for the implementation of development programs.
In 2016, HI will continue its emergency assistance for Iraqi IDPs and vulnerable host communities. This will include in particular:
1) Provision of physical and functional rehabilitation services, including physiotherapy sessions and donations of assistive devices for persons with injuries and functional limitations. Provision of advices to caretakers.
2) Technical and material support to public rehabilitation centres.
3) Provision of psychosocial support, through group sessions, individual sessions, for conflict-affected persons with psychological distress.
4) Technical and material support to local NGOs for the provision of psychosocial support.
5) Training and technical support for humanitarian actors on the inclusion of persons with disabilities in their humanitarian response and the accessibility of their structures.
6) Referral of vulnerable persons with specific needs to specialized public structures and humanitarian actors, including free transportation when feasible and needed.
7) Provision of multi-purpose cash assistance to vulnerable newly-arrived IDP households (one-shot assistance) and to extremely-vulnerable households (multi-month assistance).
Mine action activities
In 2016, HI is planning to expand its mine action program, particularly in areas with high levels of contamination by landmines, Explosive Remnants of War (ERWs) and IEDs. This will include in particular:
1) Survey, mapping and marking of Suspected Hazardous Areas (SHAs) in areas of social or economic value in order to assist the return of the displaced population and the economic recovery: abandoned villages, rural roads, agricultural land, etc.
2) Clearance of landmines, ERWs and IEDs, through manual and/or mechanical means.
3) Risk education sessions to increase the awareness of the local population on the risks related to conventional weapons and IEDs.
4) Mass awareness campaigns through spot broadcast, posters, billboards, etc.
The Technical Unit Coordinator will be responsible for guaranteeing the technical and quality framework of HI’s activities in Iraq. It will include:
• The TUC guarantees the respect of HI technical guidelines and mission operational frameworks
• In coordination with programme staff, the TUC coordinates the technical support to project teams;
• The TUC ensures the design of technical tools, trainings, leaflets and other relevant documents and disseminates them among the mission upon validation by HQ;
• The TUC ensures coherence of the technical intervention at regional level through coordination with his/her peers working in other Syria crisis response countries;
• The TUC coordinates the technical component of the partners’ capacity building.
• The TUC participates to needs assessment.
• The TUC helps to identify partnership opportunities with national and international organizations (INGOs, UN…);
• The TUC helps to assess capacities of potential operational partners for activities’ implementation;
• The TUC participates in proposal design;
• The TUC networks with humanitarian/development stakeholders to develop operational links, to design future operational collaborations (consortium, joint response…);
• The TUC leads the implementation of the Technical component of the strategy;
• The TUC participates to the delimitation of emergency / post emergency / development activities, and requests technical expertise when needed;
• The TUC is responsible for monitoring & updating if necessary mission operational frameworks;
• The TUC participates into mission cross cutting thematic work groups;
• The TUC participates in strategic planning exercises for the mission and at regional level
TEAM MANAGEMENT & CAPACITY BUILDING
• The TUC ensures strict application and respect of the Internal Regulation by his/her related staff;
• The TUC supports his/her team members in their management duties & professional development;
• The TUC ensures a good communication – coordination – information level to his/her team members;
• The TUC proposes relevant needed adaptation to the organizational chart of the mission and contributes to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.);
• The TUC develops a network of necessary technical resources within the countries.
• The TUC coordinates the technical capacity building for mission staff members in relation with HR.
• The TUC attends relevant coordination meetings with government agencies, international organisations, NGOs and UN Agencies and represents HI’s mandate in the country;
• The TUC participates to ensure regular contact and good relations with local authorities;
• The TUC participates to represent HI towards donors and other stakeholders upon HoM’s request.
• The TUC facilitates regular reporting to the HoM upon request.
• The TUC contributes to the monthly situation report (SITREP) by providing relevant data on activitie
• At least 8 years of professional experience on a disability related field (rehabilitation, OT, social worker)
• At least 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian context
• Proven managerial experience
• Proven training experience
• Strong communication and reporting skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Project management skills would be an asset
• Experience in the Middle East would be a strong asset
• Strong interpersonal and networking skills
• English mandatory (oral and written), Arabic a plus
Salaried contract. Salary according to the position and experience of the candidate + 457€/month of expatriate indemnity + cost of living index according to the living base
Starting date: 20/01/2016
Length of the assignment : 2 months (renewable)
Accommodations : collective paid by HI
To apply please follow this link:https://hi.profilsearch.com/recrute/fr/fo_annonce_voir.php?id=1287&idpartenaire=136
- Organization: Handicap International
- Location: Erbil (Iraq) | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2016-01-20