UN Women Operations Clerk
Jerusalem (Israel) | Gaza
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) since its inception in 1997(as UNIFEM). UN Women oPt focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with the national priorities. In support of this goal, and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the oPt context, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realisation of following strategic goals: Engendering governance, peace and security; Supporting women's economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence.
Under the overall guidance of the operations Manager and direct supervision of the Administrative Assistant, the Operations Clerk provides general administrative and clerical services ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded /documented service delivery. The Operations Clerk promotes a client, quality and results oriented approach. The Operations Clerk works in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme Team in Palestine Country Office to ensure consistent and reliable clerical service delivery. Provision of front-desk services and telephone communication services
- Provision of administrative and logistical support services
- Provision of support to office maintenance and asset management
- Provision of efficient mail management
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensure the provision of front-desk service and telephone communication services focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
• Monitoring of all visitors to the office; assistance to visitors by providing directions and accurate information related to UNW offices.
• Operation and management of the telephone switchboard in accordance with appropriate protocol.
• Maintenance of recording information in the system, solution of minor technical problems, and reporting to telephone service provider for regular maintenance and repair.
• Management and planning of the front desk coverage.
• Assistance in providing clerical services i.e. typing, scanning, shredding…etc., when requested.
Ensure Provision of administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
• Prepare of all necessary documentation related to shipments/customs clearance, and take follow up actions.
• Arrange travel and hotel reservations for UNW staff and consultants.
• Assist HR and Travel Assistant in checking travel authorization submissions, raising e-requisitions on ATLAS for such processes
• Provide administrative and logistical support to the organization of conferences, workshops, retreats.
• Support the HR and Travel Assistant in new recruitment processes, mainly in observing technical exam sessions and coordinate logistical arrangements for these sessions.
• Provide logistical and basic IT support in preparation for official meetings and workshops (IT equipment, hospitality…etc.).
• Update the UNW staff contact list, contact info and addresses as well for main counterparts: Governments, International Organizations, Embassies, and NGOs and other important contacts.
• Draft formal correspondences with regards to services rendered by UNDP local office; track all requests and monitor status.
• Maintain an updated stationary inventory, ensuring availability of supplies regularly. Initiate requests for office stationary.
• Raising e-requisitions on ATLAS for procurement and travel services.
• Prepare payment requests for UNW suppliers, follow up and monitor.
• Keep an updated list of UN Women publications; arrange for regular distribution of publications to partners in cooperation with communication person.
• Monitor and record staff attendance on daily basis; act as alternate leave monitor
• Prepare routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports as requested.
• Follow up with companies/ suppliers on utilities bills and processing payments (landline, cellphone…etc).
• Follow up with staff on the monthly cellphone bills for review and further action
Provides support to assets management and office maintenance, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
• Collection of information on office assets, including assets location, serial numbers, tag number…etc.
• Perform the assets verification role during corporate assets verifications exercises, and work closely with the assets focal point on assets management.
• Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance.
• Coordinate internal office maintenance and minor works
• Oversee the work of the office helper/ cleaner and work closely with him/her to ensure daily cleaning tasks are accomplished.
Ensures provision of effective mail management focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
• Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters and other correspondence to proper unit/staff member.
• Registration and dispatch of the outgoing communications, including pouch, and follow up distribution.
• Maintains the file on pouches received to ensure that all mail is accounted for.
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
• Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the execution of the country office administrative/logistical services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach strengthens the capacity of the office in the provision of administrative, clerical and logistical services.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
• Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
• Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
• Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
• Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
• Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
• Ability to collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
• Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
• Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
• Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
• Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
• Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
• Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
• Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
• Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
• Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
• Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
• Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
• Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
Leadership and Self-Management
• Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Consistently approaches work with energy, positive and constructive attitude
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
• Respond positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
• Secondary Education. Certification in management/ administration would be an asset.
• 3 years of relevant administrative experience.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS. Word, Excel, Etc.) as well as in handling of web-based management systems.
• Experience working with other UN or international organization is highly desirable.
• Ability to work under pressure, adhere to guidelines and meet strict deadlines.
• Proficiency in written and oral English and Arabic languages knowledge.
• Good writing and reporting skills.
Important message to all applicants!
Please be aware that the UN Women will review your application only if you have uploaded Personal History Form (P.11) to your application. Please download the form from the following link: http://jobs.undp.ps.
You will get the opportunity to upload the P-11 at when you apply for the position.
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications that are under consideration will be contacted.