Baltimore (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
Job Title: Solution Architect
Department: Global Knowledge and Information Management (GKIM)
Work Location: Baltimore, MD, USA or Other Approved Location
Reports To: Director, Architecture and Design
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
The Solution Architect (SA) is responsible for providing technical leadership to CRS ICT projects. The SA is expected to specialize in analysis, design and implementation of information solutions, with an emphasis on cloud and mobile solutions. The SA will assess the suitability of information solutions in terms of their intended outcomes and liaise with end users (or business owners), software vendors and developers in order to achieve these outcomes. The SA will use analysis and design techniques to solve business problems using information technology. The SA serves as change agent identifying the organizational improvements needed, designs solutions to implement those changes, and trains and motivates others to use the new solution.Job Responsibilities:
• Conduct business analysis to identify, understand and ensure that new requirements (functional and technical) are properly documented.
• Help with users to identify opportunities to improve business processes and meet new business needs through the use of technology.
• Lead the development/configuration of and/or review specifications for new CRS ICT solutions.
• Lead the analysis and selection and/or review the selection of technologies and services to support new ICT solutions.
• Lead the development of and/or review of the high level design for new ICT solutions.
• Provide technical guidance to designers and developers in the detailed design, implementation, testing, and release of ICT solutions.
• Serve as a change agent to support ICT solution adoption and use.
• Serve in an ICT consulting role for small initiatives and provide guidance to the business.
• Document the current state of CRS’ business processes and systems.
• Assess current trends in the use of technology in the relief and development sector.
• Serve as escalation point for technical issues as assigned by operations, maintenance and support staff.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Members of the Global Knowledge and Information Management Department, leaders of CRS’ regional ICT organizations, CRS Senior Managers and Executives, and owners of CRS business systems.
External: NetHope and IT leaders of other NGO’s and consortiums focused on use of ICT in the relief and development sector.
• Bachelor’s degree in IT related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience in system development.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in development of solution architecture and design.
• Demonstrable experience architecting the implementation of cloud and mobile solutions.
• In-depth knowledge of system modeling processes and tools.
• In-depth knowledge of system life cycle processes.
• Business Analysis Certification desirable.
• ITIL Foundation Certification desirable.
• Working knowledge of all aspects of business and technical architecture (organization, business process, application, data, hardware/platform, networks).
• In-depth knowledge of relational database concepts, including data modeling.
• Good understanding of object-oriented design.
• Good communication and collaboration skills.
• Adult education skills.
• Track record of reliable and consistent performance.
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly and understand potential uses.
• Ability to develop and document solution architecture using industry standard modeling tools.
• Ability to trade-off various system solutions and articulate their relative advantages and disadvantages.
• Ability to work within a matrix, geographically dispersed organization.
• Strong systems thinking and analytical approaches to problem solving.
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation and oral and written communication skills.
• Team player willing to work at multiple levels.
• Patient and Flexible.
• Interest in evolving technologies.
• Regularly required to sit at a desk; work at a computer; type.
• Occasionally lifts, carries, and /or moves objects weighing less than 25 pounds.
• Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations, and services.
• This position will require occasional travel of up to 10%, including to resource poor international locations.
Language Required: Must be fluent in written and spoken English.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- Organization: CRS - Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Baltimore (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Closing Date: 2016-02-08