Director of Emergency Health Unit
6 Month Fixed Term Contract
As our tenacious and visionary Director of Emergency Health Unit, you'll be at the forefront of our flagship initiative for 2016, developing robust relationships across the Save the Children movement and the sector at large, fostering the widest possible buy-in as you champion the use of the unit’s life-saving services.
Working in more than 120 countries, we do whatever it takes to create breakthroughs in the way the world treats children. Our Humanitarian department integrates emergency and development work, through our country programmes. It increases our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. Together, we save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfil their potential.
Our Emergency Health Unit (EHU) will comprise a standing team of frontline health experts, with the capability to provide high quality essential medical services to 100,000 affected people in the immediate aftermath of a major emergency. It will also provide specific support to country programmes to prevent avoidable deaths by ensuring safe delivery, mass vaccination and acute diarrhoea treatment.
As Director of Emergency Health Unit you'll take charge of one of the organisation’s top priorities, as you provide inspiring leadership to a global team of up to 50 staff, developing the EHU as a vibrant, innovative and growing humanitarian capability. You will oversee the recruitment of team members, look after the budget and generate support as you build strong relationships with senior management and key donors.
You will also:
- Convene, co-ordinate and chair a steering committee to guide the EHU’s development.
- Help ensure that the health and nutrition strategy is fully implemented across the organisation.
- Develop robust business and resourcing models and work plans.
- Seek external challenge and peer review for the EHU, understand risks and dependencies, develop and oversee mitigation plans, provide regular progress updates to key stakeholders.
- Help manage change and health staff integration in the Humanitarian department.
To be successful, you'll have a strong track record in the field of emergency health leadership and proven senior management skills in areas such as creative and strategic thinking, performance and budget management, delivery of results and teamwork. You'll be motivated by the humanitarian cause and will have what it takes to build a new and essential capability. Entrepreneurial, determined and persuasive, you will also have:
- Significant experience in leading on key organisational initiatives and of fundraising with key humanitarian donors.
- A thorough understanding of the wider humanitarian sector and proven skill at strategic planning and resource allocation.
- A flair for presenting arguments clearly and effectively to a range of audiences.
- Diplomacy, influencing and negotiating skills.
- The ability to work within and lead a large and diverse team, some of whom may be operating in stressful environments.
- A successful background in business development and / or fundraising is preferable to technical expertise.
At Save the Children our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing Date: 17th January 2016
Please note that due to the urgent nature of the role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. And Interviews may commence before the advert closing date. Candidates are advised to submit their applications as early as possible.
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: London
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Health service
- Humanitarian Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-01-17