The Accountant is responsible for assisting the Senior Accountant with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately of the donor against fraud, loss or misuse. The Accountant is responsible for ensuring that all transactions are entered accurately and timely into QuickBooks in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH accounting policies and procedures, and donor requirements. The Accountant is aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s ethical conduct and procurement integrity standards in all activities.
Accounting: preparation of payment vouchers and transactions in QuickBooks (50%)
- Prepare payment vouchers.
- Properly code all transactions.
- Control and enter all expenses from the petty cash.
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the field.
- Ensure balances of unused portions of advances are timely deposited into MSH bank accounts.
- Prepare deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Post expenses, deposits, advances, receivables, prepaids, payables, and liabilities in QuickBooks.
- Ensure proper documentation is filed with vouchers and maintained as per MSH and donor policy.
- Support Senior Accountant to prepare forms for payments of taxes and social security, as required.
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor.
Preparation of Account Reconciliations (5%)
- Timely reconciliation of advances, including review of receipts.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Reconcile liability and other accounts as required.
- Review procurement documentation for office supplies and services to ensure the accuracy and required signatories and necessary documentation are in place according to MSH’s and donor policies and procedures.
Payroll processes and compulsory insurances (15%)
- Manage timesheets for office staff ensuring timely submission, approval accuracy and filing.
- Work with the Senior Accountant to provide related information to Payroll service company (in certain countries) on salary and insurances, review their calculations and work on related issues.
- Work with the Senior Accountant to arrange timely payments for salary and insurance contribution to the Guatemala Social Service Institute (IGSS)*.*
- Maintain the inventory of MSH in Guatemala, together with the Office Manager.
- Coordinate with the Office Manager to conduct periodic physical checks of inventory.
- Manage donation of old inventory as appropriate.
Other Tasks (5%)
- Deliver and collect documents from the bank and other government authorities.
- Provide back up to the Senior Accountant as needed.
- University degree in Accounting or equivalent certification from a Business Technical School.
- 2 years of work experience as an accountant in a similar work organization.
- Prior work experience with U. S. Government and non-USG, foundations, or other donors preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in the use of accounting software (Quickbooks preferred)
- Experience with US government projects
- Good account reconciliation skills, including bank accounts, advance accounts and payroll related liability accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyze balance sheet and expense account transactions and post required adjusting/allocation journal entries.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel), and Word.
- Understanding of the tenets of cash control and asset management, and must be able to complete timely and accurate account reconciliations.
- Ability to follow MSH and donor policies and procedures for procurement and documentation, and ensure adequate accounting documentation for a proper audit trail.
- Fluency in Spanish and proficiency in English language including reading, writing, and speaking.
- Knowledge of Guatemalan laws on labor, social & health insurance, and personal income tax.
- Detail oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and to take initiative.
- Keyboard use, Pulling drawers, Lifting papers <10lbs.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Visit the MSH website to APPLY!
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Guatemala City
- Grade: Junior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-02-29