Food Technologist P3
Mercin | Ankara
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Deputy Regional Director and with a functional reporting line to the Head of Food Quality based in Headquarters (Rome, Italy), the Food Technologist will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Establish and implement protocols and tools relating to food technology issues, such as food safety and quality and food product optimisation, ensuring alignment with WFP procurement and supply chain strategy, policies and plans;
- Monitoring of WFP Procurement purchasing contracts execution;
- Assess inspection services and provide guidance and/or on-job training on best practices as required;
- Review and provide advice on the procedures for mitigating and documenting food quality and safety issues e.g. during food transit and storage in warehouses;
- Establish and implement protocols and tools in country offices that enable rapid response to situations with food safety concerns;
- Provide technical guidance and input to country offices in the design and implementation of medium scale and/or relatively straight forward food assistance programmes, ensuring compliance with WFP food and safety regulations;
- Lead and motivate a small team of staff, providing coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance;
- Develop and deliver training modules to WFP staff and external stakeholders on the key areas of food technology, such as quality control, food processing, loss prevention and mitigation, to build local capacity in the processing and/or production of specialized nutritious foods;
- Prepare accurate and timely reports that inform food risk assessment and management, and contribute to a WFP wide view of food technology activities, enabling informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders;
- Build relationships and collaborate with counterparts in key supply chain functions to establish standard operation procedures, protocols and tools that maintain, monitor and verify food safety and quality along the WFP supply chain;
- Build productive relationships and partnerships with counterparts in UN agencies, NGOs, governments and the private sector to enhance WFP capacity to respond effectively to levels of under nutrition;
- Keep current on emerging developments and cutting edge research on the areas of food safety and quality and/or food product optimization in order to leverage the opportunities to incorporate industry best practices;
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs;
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Control, Nutrition or other related field, or First University degree with an additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least five years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in quality assurance, quality control in a food production factory, food safety, quality management systems and food supply chain management.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Good knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP);
- Knowledge of food safety and quality management systems (i.e. ISO, BRC, IFS, etc.);
- Knowledge of complementary food characteristics for children and other vulnerable groups;
- Training and experience in utilising computers and standard software packages and systems;
- Excellent analytical skills, critical reasoning and detail oriented;
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work well in group situations and participate and contribute to a team effort;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description;
- Excellent follow-up and sensitivity to deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients and partners;
Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
Good knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures is an asset;
Proven ability and experience in conducting suppliers audits, incident management, product traceability;
Good knowledge of Middle East and Turkish regulatory frameworks and food standards;
Ability to advise operations, logistics and procurement on food contracting and handling.
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of Arabic is required;
- Another official UN language (Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 18 February 2016
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide
- Organization: UN WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Mercin | Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-02-18