Project Coordinator, Gender and Security Programme (100%)
Initiated by the Swiss Government, the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is a foundation contributing to the process of democratisation of the security sector in countries around the world, including those in transition to democracy or affected by crisis or war.
The Operations III Division is responsible for the Africa Programme and for the Gender and Security Programme. DCAF Operations III is looking for an experienced, motivated, and flexible individual who will manage projects related to gender and security sector reform and/or governance in Africa, specifically West Africa. The Project Coordinator (PC) will be the lead on specific partnerships in West Africa, providing technical expertise to a range of actors from security or justice institutions, to women’s organizations and/or other civil society organizations.
Working as part of a team, the PC will be responsible for managing the budgets for his/her projects and for all phases of the project cycle; from design, to implementation, monitoring and evaluation. As part of the support provided to partners in the field, the PC will deliver and facilitate workshops, training, and other capacity building activities. The PC is innovative and is able to work with partners to develop projects best suited to address their needs, building on the past experience of the Gender and Security Programme while contributing towards it with every new project.
Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and French.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience working in different cultural contexts.
- Advanced university degree (or equivalent) in international relations, peace, or security studies, with a focus or specialization on women’s/gender studies.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects related to gender and security or gender and justice.
- Experience providing technical assistance and guidance in integrating gender equality into security or justice work.
- Extensive experience delivering and facilitating workshops, seminars, consultations and capacity building activities.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning and design, budget management, project implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience liaising with donors, embassies, and international organisations in the field.
- Excellent organisation skills with strong attention to detail.
- Availability and willingness to travel frequently to Africa
Desirable additional skills or experience:
- Experience conducting research and producing publications
- Familiarity with the UN, AU, ECOWAS, and other intergovernmental and/or regional organisations
Position location: Geneva, Switzerland, with frequent travel to Africa and in particular to West Africa.
The position commences in April 2016.
Deadline for applications is 19 February 2016.
DCAF is committed to a diverse workplace free of discrimination. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: www.dcaf.ch.
Candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their CV with a cover letter explaining their interest and suitability for the position to the address below. Due to the high number of applications, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Administrative Assistant, Operations III
Ref: PC Gender and Security Africa