Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Research
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Research
The Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Research will be responsible for the design, implementation and technical quality of all monitoring, evaluation and research activities on the project. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam and will report to the Chief of Party.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s monitoring and evaluation activities, including the development of the project’s Performance Monitoring and Learning Plan; development and monitoring of project indicators; implementation of baseline, midterm and end line studies; oversight of data collection and analysis; synthesis of data and study outcome reports; quality assurance and auditing of data;
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s research activities, including operations research, performance evaluations, impact evaluations and rapid/special studies. Lead efforts to identify key research questions and develop studies that test innovative strategies for addressing improving the quality and uptake of health services;
- Lead a robust “collaboration, learning and adaptation” agenda for the program, designing and implementing mechanisms for continuous learning, collaboration and adaptation for project staff, partners, donors, host country government counterparts and other stakeholders.;
- Oversee the dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned and other program results to local, national and regional-level intergovernmental bodies, donors, partners and other stakeholders. Promote forums which facilitate collaboration, learning and action as a result of this information among these actors;
- Ensure that data from the project is fed into national health management information systems and promote its use among stakeholders for learning and policy development and programming;
- Build capacity of staff, implementing partners, government counterparts, and other stakeholders in program monitoring and evaluation, data collection and management, and research and learning methods;
- Ensure all research and evaluation conducted under the project include a gender focus that promotes gender equitable programming;
- Ensure research implementation adheres to FHI 360 and international policies and standards and remains technically and ethically sound. Usher research protocols through FHI 360 Internal Review Board and national external review processes;
- Monitor and maintain relevant protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports;
- Oversee a team of monitoring, evaluation and research staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members;
- Contribute to work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and other reports and papers summarizing project results and evidence;
- Deliver presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
- Master's Degree or higher in monitoring and evaluation, public health, demography, health management, social science, biostatistics, statistics, or a related field required;
- 8+ years’ experience in monitoring, evaluation and research efforts, in a public health field; experience working in one or more of the following areas is required: Family Planning/Reproductive Health (FP/RH), Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (MNCAH), Malaria, Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS), Tuberculosis (TB).
- Strong quantitative or mixed-method and analytical skills and ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experience in design and analysis of communication research projects – qualitative and quantitative;
- Ability to communicate research findings to non-research audiences;
- Strong skills using MS Excel Word, PowerPoint and Access, and at least one data management software program (SAS, SPSS) and experience training others in its use is highly desirable;
- Experience with a USG cooperative agreement or contract preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies;
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills;
- Experience working as a member of high performance team;
- Ability to work independently and manage a high volume work flow.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360's Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers or through the Employment section at www.fhi360.org. Please submit CV/resume and cover letter including salary requirements. Please specify source in your application.
FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-02-29
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Manila | philippines (Philippines)
Washington D.C | United States (United States of America)
Juba (South Sudan)