Dep Director (Protection Management)
Deputy Director (Protection Management)
The Deputy Director (Protection Management) oversees distinct areas of DIP's overall protection management strategy, focusing on solutions efforts, including legal pathways in the progressive attainment of definitive solutions for persons of concern, community-based protection, education, and protection strategy development. These functions are carried out under the direction and of the Director, DIP.
The Deputy Director (Protection Management) oversees and manages the Division of International Protection's advocacy and strategy for a more progressive approach to protection strategy development, ensuring solutions-oriented planning from the early stages of displacement, development of situations-oriented solutions policy and guidance, a community-based protection strategy and engagement, protection and strategic planning through education, and related protection strategic planning. The incumbent of this position will therefore be required to ensure the meaningful engagement of a range of actors. Through technical guidance and advice, the incumbent will support operations to develop multi-year, multi-partner protection and protection management strategies.
The incumbent is additionally responsible for overseeing structured integration of strategic protection management considerations in organisation-wide planning, programming, monitoring, evaluation and resource allocation. To this end, he/she will ensure that guidance and tools supporting strategy development are issued to field operations, with continued support to the multi-year planning pilot in particular. He/she will support efforts of integrating protection and solutions considerations into organizational developments, such as for example in proposals on RBM tool revision, the resource allocation framework, and the development of an institutional strategy. These responsibilities, falling broadly under the rubric of protection management, will be supported by a Protection Management team in DIP, which will be supervised by the Deputy Director.
The Deputy Director (Protection Management) is also responsible for UNHCR's work on embedding a community-based protection approach to achieving protection and solutions outcomes through consultation with and participation of communities and individuals of concern.
He/she will have substantive, structured and routine contacts with Heads of Units and staff in the Division and all parts of UNHCR, in particular in the Bureau to meet the overall responsibilities of the Deputy Director and the teams he/she supervises.
The Deputy Director may be called upon to serve as a member of various steering committees and working groups as the need arises, including but not limited to the following functions and in the following fora:
- As necessary, represent the Director in the SMC during her absence, or at her request (internal).
- Foster and maintain relationships with high level Governments officials, I/NNGOs, other UN organizations, for strengthened collaboration and results in areas of protection management strategies for people of concern, including with regard to community-based protection, legal pathways in the progressive attainment of definitive solutions, and education.
- Facilitate annual protection planning and programming, including as part of the extended APR Secretariat.
- Momentum is developed and sustained to implement solutions, particularly in relation to use of comprehensive solutions frameworks and approaches, as well as in relation to additional legal forms of solutions, including legal pathways, for refugees.
- Networking functions of DIP with UN entities as well as NGOs and missions are managed in the area of responsibility, ensuring that opportunities are maximized for partnerships and joint efforts to strengthen advocacy, and in turn influence favourably decision makers on solutions, community-based protection and accountability to affected populations of concern to UNHCR.
- Operations are supported in the correct coverage and strategic protection planning/management for repatriation and return, cessation and solutions planning as part of UNHCR's holistic approach to solutions.
- Operations and Bureaux are engaged in planning for solutions, community based outreach and empowerment, and education advancement early in refugee outflows as well in relation to protracted refugee situations.
- Guidance and tools to support new approaches to strategic protection planning and management including with regard to solutions and related issues are available.
- DIP successfully liaises with Divisions and regional bureaux to ensure coherent application of protection policies and priorities in the development of organizational policies and approaches as well as in Annual and Mid-Year programme review processes.
- Support DIP's role in providing substantive inputs in organisation-wide planning and programming processes and resource allocation procedures.
- Provide strategic guidance on thematic areas concerning protection management, including with regard to progressive solutions, education, community-based protection, and protection planning and develop policy and operational guidance.
- Stay abreast of key developments in relation to the main areas falling under the Deputy Director's purviews as outlined under the organisational context and functional statement above, particularly the progressive attainment of definitive solutions, full engagement of the Regional Bureaux and operations on solutions, community-based protection, education, and protection planning and participate in significant external forums as necessary so as to influence policy and strategic thinking on thematic and operational areas relating to protection management.
- Facilitate and develop holistic approaches to protection and solutions, drawing on improved community-based responses and on greater knowledge and closer work with refugee and host communities.
- Direct DIP's approach to strategic protection management including progressive solutions in the form of multi-year, multi-partner Protection and Solutions Strategies that are the foundation for UNHCR¿s and others¿ contributions to wider planning in areas of asylum, protection, and solutions.
- Oversee strengthened protection delivery by building capacity in relation to protection and solutions strategies, planning, programme design, resource allocation, monitoring and reporting.
- Ensure the relevant participation in all discussions related to solutions, in particular at annual programming, such as APR, MYR, and COP planning or program review sessions so as to influence planning and budget processes in favor of a comprehensive solutions oriented approach in operations. To this end, in relation to the APR exercise, the incumbent will liaise with the AHC/P on overall direction, and with both AHCs on other steps of the operation management cycle for the institution as a whole.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Represent the Division's and the Organization's strategic protection management and solutions viewpoints and positions in internal and external fora.
- Liaise with Bureaux and field operations on all matters relating to strategic protection management and solutions, and organize meetings and discussions to address problems.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced University degree in Law or other relevant field with experience in the area of International Protection.
- Minimum 20 years of job experience relevant to the function at international level, including 7 years in managerial capacity.
- Field experience in protection.
- Articulate and possess strong advocacy and public speaking skills.
- Computer literacy essential.
- Strong management skills in related areas of resettlement and solutions.
- Superior legal and policy drafting skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- SMLP and protection learning courses.
- Organisational and external relations skills.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining broad partnership networks.
- Knowledgeable and experience in using relevant functionality in MSRP and Focus.
- French language.
C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X006L4 - Policy Development & Research Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X007L4 - Political Awareness Level 4
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: D-1, Director - Senior Executive level
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Human Rights
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Civil Society
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22