Pers Admin Officer
Personnel Administrative Officer
The Personnel Administration Officer will function under the direct supervision of the Head of Unit (Personnel Administration) in the Personnel Administration and Payroll Section (PAPS). He/she will be required to work on various personnel administration issues, provide expert inputs on HR policy development and lead a sub unit dealing with personnel administration matters. The confidentiality of all personnel matters and the need to deal with clients in a courteous and efficient manner are salient features of this position as well as the supervisory and managerial role over 3-4 staff members. The incumbent of the position may be required to act as Officer in Charge for the Unit in the absence of the Head of Unit.
- The workforce is well-informed of, understands and complies with the organisation's human resources policies and practices.
- The workforce acts with integrity, is aware of the Code of Conduct and complies with UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- UNHCR provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce worldwide.
- Provide support to the Chief of Section/Heads of Unit (Personnel Administration) and other Personnel Administration Officers in developing simplified HR processes and procedures that are staff friendly and time saving. This requires in-depth knowledge of MSRP Personnel and Payroll in order to be innovative and creative.
- Liaise with Headquarters, in particular with other DHRM units/sections in order to stay abreast of all developments and issues relating to priorities of the organization and evolving issues on Personnel Administration.
- Implement recruitment, deployment and promotion of internationally recruited staff and locally recruited staff at Headquarters Geneva;
- Manage and directly supervise process of recruitment, reassignment and separation of staff in respective geographical area of responsibility, in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures. Supervise administration of inter-agency staff exchange (secondments/loans/transfers).
- Implement termination of contracts for staff worldwide, including agreed separation.
- Provide guidance and counselling to ensure staff in respective geographical area of responsibility have sound awareness of the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations, and are aware of its rights and obligations as well as benefits and entitlements.
- Ensure that all staff under supervision continuously develop their skills and knowledge enabling them to provide appropriate and timely support to all staff in relation to accessing benefits and entitlements related to their assignments as well as their appointments, reassignments and separation from service.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Enforce compliance with UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations and UNHCR's human resources policies.
- Issue and extend contracts for internationally recruited staff.
- Initiate and enforce compliance with the performance appraisal and management system.
- Grant and approve staff benefit and entitlements.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Human Resources Management/Administration, Law or similar disciplines.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in progressively responsible functions in an office that administer/manage a large number of staff, preferably within the UN. Of the eight years, minimum of five years should be in the same functional area of professional category.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of support services in an International organization.
- High IT affinity is essential with excellent computer skills and working knowledge in MS office software. Exposure to UNHCR field operations is essential.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language (written/oral/comprehension).
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- UNHCR specific learning/training activities such as MMLP.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X009L3 - Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22