Program Manager (Local Hire)
Gaziantep | Ankara
Job Title: Program Manager (Local Hire)
Duty Station: Gaziantep
Deadline to apply: February 20, 2016
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty.
CARE International in Turkey is pleased to announce an opening for the position of Program Manager.
I - Job Summary:
CARE in Turkey together with partners, is providing much needed humanitarian assistance to alleviate the impact of the crisis in Syria. The Program Manager will have strong skills in the management of emergency relief projects in complex environments, including remote management experience and in working with/through partners. Due to access and security issues, CARE is working with partners to deliver aid in northern Syria and the Program Manager will work closely with these implementing partners in the management of respective grants, ensuring that activities are carried out according to plan, in a timely manner and with a high level of quality. The Program Manager will also play an important role in developing the capacity of the implementing partners, as well as directly supervising and mentoring CARE staff within the Program Team. The Program Manager will ensure that all grants are implemented with the highest accountability standards in relation to all of CARE Turkey’s internal and external stakeholders (intended beneficiaries, partners, donors and CI Member Partners (CIMP). The Program Manager will also work very closely with the Country Office’s technical specialist staff, in particular the Program Quality Manager and the Gender & Protection Advisor, and in close collaboration with the Program Support team (Procurement, Finance, Administration & Logistics Manager) and the Safety and Security Manager, to ensure efficient, safe and high quality of implementation and outcomes.
II - Responsibilities and Tasks:
Job Responsibility #1 %35
Program management and accountability
· Manage the successful and timely completion of current grants including advising partners on a regular to ensure effective and accountable management of CARE projects.
· Ensure partners and CARE staff are implementing grants in a manner that meets contractual obligations including all donor and CARE policy, procedures, rules and regulations.
· Supervise overall project implementation, including co-signing responsibility in line with CARE authorization limits and regular review of ongoing projects.
· Ensure all reporting internally from the partner and externally to the donor are within agreed timeframes and high quality.
· Maintain financial overview of assigned grants and monitor project expenditure statements to ensure full compliance with CARE and donor compliances. .
· Ensure risks are appropriately managed, including financial, safety and security, programmatic and reputational.
· Liaise with CARE country team and other CARE global support to ensure all necessary support is provided to ensure the effective implementation of the program.
· Coordinate and collaborate with technical specialists to ensure the managed program meets desired outcomes.
Job Responsibility #2 %25
- Closely observe staff performance, conduct performance appraisals of program staff, ensure regular feedback and mentoring on individual performance.
- Take or recommend appropriate action on staff performance and behavior, if necessary, in coordination with the CO HR Manager.
- Oversee human resource recruitment, development and standards pertaining to the program.
- Work to maintain team spirit and morale among staff by encouraging personal and professional development and positive stress management.
Job Responsibility #3 %15
Capacity Building of partners
· Work closely with partners to implement and report on agreed remote monitoring procedures.
· Identify priority areas for capacity building and work with the CARE Program Director and relevant support units to provide additional training and support.
· Keep track of implementing partner performance, identify capacity building priorities, engage relevant CO staff to ensure targeted capacity development support is provided to partners and ensure timely identification and resolution of serious concerns in relation to partners’ performance and accountability.
· Coach and mentor partner senior management team to ensure best practice in fiscal management and management of programs according to CARE Program Quality and Management Standards and the Humanitarian Accountability Principals (HAP).
· Identify technically deficient areas with partners and together with the Program Director, resource and mobilise the required technical support.
· Ensure all disputes that may arise with partners are resolved in amicable manner.
Responsibility #4 %15
· Together with partners and the Program Director, identify suitable ongoing funding opportunities and develop proposals accordingly.
· Participate in project design workshops and contribute to proposal development through drafting, reviewing and collecting, analyzing and providing essential information.
Responsibility #5 %10
· Together with partners, represent CARE at appropriate in-country donor meetings, NGO/UN forums and cluster group coordination mechanisms.
· Represent the Turkey Country Office in relevant CARE global and/or regional fora.
III - Qualification and skills :
· Masters Degree in (International) Development Studies, Social/Political Sciences and or in a humanitarian related field.
IV- Skills & Experience:
· Five years (or more) of humanitarian experience in not-for-profit organization in complex emergency environments, including managing remotely and with and through partners.
· Experience in managing and implementing emergency programs with a procurement component, and ensuring compliance with multiple donor grants (including OFDA, ECHO and DFID), program budgets and activities.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Experience in the Middle East
· Experience in training and/or coaching of civil society organizations
· Arabic speaking skills
Technical Skills :
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and work with international staff and partner staff.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE's core values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills: knowledge of CARE policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct.
- Arabic preferred, but not essential.
Technical Competencies required for this position are:
- Excellent project management experience in complex emergency contexts.
- Strong financial and contract management skills.
- Familiarity with projects involving large-scale procurement and distribution.
- Demonstrated ability to manage contracts in compliance with major donor requirements including DFID, OFDA and the EU.
- Able to manage competing priorities and multiple grants.
- Gender awareness and a commitment to gender equality.
- Strong coaching, training and mentoring skills.
- Strong awareness of safety, security and risk management best practices.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Interested candidates please send a Curriculum Vitae in English and aCover letter (*in a separate file of no more than one A4 page***) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post,** to the following e-mail address: TURCAREHR@care.org Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.**
Make sure to include [ 020216-4 Program Manager] in the subject line of your application. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. The deadline for applications is February 20, 2016.
- Organization: CARE
- Location: Gaziantep | Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2016-02-20