16-058: Construction Engineer/Architect
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
16-058: Construction Engineer/Architect
International Medical Corps, a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs, seeks candidates for the position of Construction Engineer/Architect in Sierra Leone.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The Lunsar Training Center was originally built by International Medical Corps in late 2014 to house the emergency training of health workers to fight Ebola. Throughout 2015, expert clinical staff have transitioned offerings to non-emergency trainings to strengthen the decimated Sierra Leonean health workforce. These trainings have included a pilot Midwife and Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Aide training program, nutrition workshops, and programs in infection prevention and control.
The pilot MCH Aide/Midwifery training program at Lunsar Training Center includes delivering lecture sessions, discussing case studies, and participating in practical demonstrations to cover key maternal health competencies, such as focused antenatal care, intrapartum care and partograms, obstetric emergencies including post-partum hemorrhage, pre-eclampsia, ante-partum hemorrhage and umbilical cord prolapse, puerperal sepsis, and newborn care and resuscitation. After courses are completed, International Medical Corps midwife trainings mentor the midwives and MCH aides within the walls of their assigned health facility to ensure the knowledge learns solidifies as behavior change. This new project will expanded to include new training facilities, larger cohorts of midwives and MCH aides, and improved teaching aides and materials.
The Construction Engineer/Architect will lead in the technical design and construction of a new set of buildings at the Lunsar Training Center, including a midwifery skills simulation center, classrooms, and living quarters. Working closely with the program coordinator and the senior midwife trainer, the Construction Engineer/Architect will ensure that the proposed additions to the training center are designed according to meet the programmatic needs of the training teams and built according to appropriate safety standards and in a timely manner
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The candidate shall have experience in detailed Civil/Site design and strong AutoCAD abilities. He / She will be able to perform the following tasks:
• Coordinate with multidisciplinary team to design, draw, layout, and create construction documents for new buildings at the Lunsar Training Center site
• Design and draw area grading, water, hygiene and sanitation facilities and systems, electrical installation lay outs
• Preparation of MTO/BOQs and Cost Estimates including HR design
• Preparation of technical specifications according to the local and international building design code, enquiry documents and bid evaluation
• Develop work plans defining tasks, responsible persons, timeframe and safety
• Develop construction progress monitoring tools
• Vendor drawing review
• Oversee the implementation and monitoring of the activity in accordance with agreed work plan, design, and budget
• Provide proactive of issues and gaps, including contextual concerns, propose feasible solutions, and implement recommendations
• Preparation of feasibility reports, and project reports
“Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.”
“To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.”
• Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or similar, including Autodesk certification or similar
• AutoCAD based certification
• Minimum of 4 to 6 years of professional experience in detailed civil/site design and AutoCAD drafting, and development of BoQs and technical specifications
• Knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards; ability to review and understand Sierra Leone building codes and incorporate that knowledge into designs and drawings
• Knowledge of international construction codes
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office: Excel, Word
• Basic knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Good interpersonal, communication and problem solving
• Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, multicultural team
• Capacity to deliver results within tight deadlines
Other Relevant Information (if applicable):
Fluency in English required.
How to apply: Please go to: Construction Engineer/Architect and follow the instructions for applying online.
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.”
How to apply:
To officially begin the application process, qualified candidates please go to our career page http://careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org/careers.aspx , noting where you noticed the position you are applying for and complete the online employment application form.
- Organization: IMC - International Medical Corps
- Location: Freetown (Sierra Leone)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Project and Programme Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-03-08