PROJECT EXPERT CONSULTANCY, IRAQ & SYRIA
Baghdad | Damascus
(Open to nationals and legal residents of Iraq & Syria with legal residency in Lebanon and/or Jordan)
Under the current strategic framework of the Centre, one of the Programme Department’s focus is applying inter-religious dialogue for peace and reconciliation in Iraq & Syria. While there is a Programme Manager for Iraq & Syria based in the Centre in Vienna, the Centre needs to work directly in the country and is seeking a consultant with expertise in project management, monitoring and evaluation in order to assist the Centre in engaging local leaders of religious communities, policy makers and interreligious dialogue platforms to enhance and track outcomes in three targeted sectors: interreligious dialogue platform performance, interreligious dialogue for peace and reconciliation, and intra-religious dialogue within the major faith traditions in Iraq & Syria.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, Iraq & Syria, based in Vienna, the primary role of the consultant will be to facilitate the work of the Centre in implementing locally (while based in Lebanon and/or Jordan) its programme.
- Develop a strategic framework of cooperation and active partnerships between the Centre and its designated local partners, relevant national government institutions, non-governmental organizations, United Nations (UN) agencies, and representatives of other multilateral and bilateral organizations;
- Design and implement an operational workshop in coordination with the supervisor to establish a Programme Steering Committee;
- Provide leadership within the targeted institutions of interreligious dialogue in Syria, Iraq and other neighboring Arab countries (e.g. Middle East Council of Churches, Al Azhar Al Shareef), and provide the overall strategic framework for the Centre’s assistance in the region;
- Ensure that the Centre’s inputs are recognized by the recipient country as added value to national and regional dialogue development initiatives, with particular attention to sectors related to interreligious dialogue for peace and reconciliation and intrareligious interventions;
- Support the Centre in provision of information on interreligious and intercultural dialogue for peace and reconciliation within the country by establishing a local information network which provides strategic information required for the local implementation of the programme, such as dialogue support strategies for peace and reconciliation, conflict analysis, intrareligious sector analyses, and interreligious policy formulation;
- Support the Centre’s Knowledge Hub in data collection and mapping exercises;
- Monitor and evaluate all project-related activities and day-to-day project management;
- Update the work plan provided by the supervisor and provide regular reports on its implementation;
- When applicable, you will manage the financial and human resources assigned to the role in compliance with the Centre’s regulatory framework;
- Organize relevant workshops, training and events; Identify conference premises, accommodation, participants, key experts, facilitators, and panelists; Identify and formulate key objectives and expected outcomes; Support facilitation during events and trainings and take care of reporting as well as moderating sessions; Compile lists of participants, workshop recommendations, follow-ups, reports, ensure appropriate evaluation;
- Perform any other tasks as required by the Centre in connection with the programme.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree in peace and conflict resolution, International Peace, interreligious dialogue with background in management, business administration, international relations;
- Good experience in programme management in a politically sensitive environment, including at the international level, preferably within an inter-governmental organization;
- Expertise in Iraq and Syria / Middle East / peace building strongly preferred;
- A good knowledge of all the aspects of the conflict in the region and its cultural, religious and social characteristics;
- A good experience with knowledge of Interreligious Dialogue and Relations, more particularly the Christian-Muslim dialogue and interrelationship in the Middle East;
- Ability to build a network of relations in the interreligious field as well as faith based organizations and high level/working level religious actors;
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills, inquisitive ability, strategic thinking, and the ability to rapidly learn and apply new concepts;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to interact independently with religious leaders as well as with senior government officials;
- Demonstrates drive for results that reflects ownership and accountability;
- Commitment to sharing information, contributing to the learning and development of the Centre;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Commitment to highest ethical standards and human rights;
- Willing to support Citizenship Rights and Peaceful Coexistence between Christians, Muslims and others in the Middle East.
Arabic and English proficiency (written and spoken), knowledge of any other major languages desirable.
- Organization: KAICIID
- Location: Baghdad | Damascus
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Political Affairs
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-02-21