Tajikistan - mHealth Monitoring and Proj Support Intern
INTERNSHIP TITLE: Tajikistan - mHealth Monitoring and Project Support Intern
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Qurgonteppa, Tajikistan, with field travel to districts and Dushanbe
ANTICIPATED DATES OF INTERNSHIP: Beginning April/May (Flexible)
ANTICIPATED LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 3-6 months (Flexible)
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP:
- Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment, the intern will receive:
Accommodation/Housing in Qurgonteppa
Meals and transport during visits to field sites and Dushanbe
ISOS Emergency med-evacuation
Intern will remain responsible for all other costs, including:
Additional living expenses
Mobile health or mHealth is a broad term used to define the practice of health care supported by mobile technologies, most commonly the mobile phone. The purposes for which mobile technology can be used in public health vary widely, and its capacities are continually being expanded. mHealth is being piloted and implemented in developing nations in order to fill the gaps in community health provision and support health care professionals.
Given the diverse capabilities that mobile technologies can bring to improving health care processes and the current health context in Tajikistan, in November 2015 Mercy Corps partnered with Tcell, one of the country's largest mobile services providers, and the Department of Maternal and Child Health in Tajikistan's Ministry of Health to implement a one-year mHealth pilot project in one district. This study has been integrated within the USAID-funded Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Project currently being implemented in 12 districts of the Khatlon region. By connecting the public and private sectors to address a national health need, Mercy Corps hopes that the project will achieve the following objectives:
- Forge new public-private partnerships that will lead to the development of a market-oriented business model for mobile health application, which can ultimately be scaled throughout the country and can lead to improved health outcomes for the country's population
- Provide mHealth partners and other interested organizations with documented lessons learned that will help them increase mHealth's effectiveness and expand the project to other districts throughout Tajikistan
- Ensure that women of reproductive age in the target district will have access to information related to nutrition and maternal and child health.
We are looking for a candidate to support monitoring and evaluation efforts and the documentation of lessons learned in order to assess Mercy Corps' mHealth pilot intervention. The intern will also help manage relationships with implementing partners and support research on potential new project initiatives. Lastly, the intern may help staff members expand the mHealth project to new districts in order to improve maternal and neonatal health in Tajikistan.
Assess community reach, user experience and uptake into practice
Develop ideas for how to create a more effective platform
Troubleshoot any issues with data collection and data entry, and assist in developing and implementing analysis plans
Analyze collected data and contribute to a report assessing the mHealth intervention in pilot communities
Support advocacy efforts by assisting in the documentation of success stories and creation of research/policy papers by conducting literature reviews and other secondary research
Support MCH project staff in ensuring that issues with mHealth project implementation are addressed in a timely manner .
Intern will be an integral part of the team pioneering an mHealth platform in Tajikistan
Intern will have the opportunity to design and suggest ideas to improve the intervention
Intern will be able to learn more about the development of market-oriented business models for mobile health application through public-private partnerships
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's degree in Public Health, International Development or other relevant field, completed or in progress
- English fluency required and Russian or Tajik\Farsi proficiency beneficial
- Previous experience working or interning abroad strongly desired
- Previous experience with field data collection and analysis desired
- Professional maturity and collaborative work style
- High degree of flexibility
The intern will be based in Qurgonteppa, the provincial headquarters of Khatlon Oblast in Tajikistan, a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from the capital, Dushanbe. It is situated in the south of the country and close to the borders of Uzbekistan and Afghanistan. Housing is comfortable and there are several restaurants in the town. Potential for the intern to stay with a Tajik family whose house Mercy Corps uses as a guesthouse. Most breakfasts and dinners will be provided by the family, depends on availability.
Mercy Corps' interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=aW50ZXJuc2hpcC45ODA3OC4zODMwQG1lcmN5Y29ycHMuYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Dushanbe (Tajikistan)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Public Health and Health Service
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2016-03-09