LINKAGES Behavior Change and Communications Advisor
Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire)
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: LINKAGES Behavior Change and Communications Advisor
The LINKAGES Behavior Change and Communications Advisor will work on the USAID-funded project, Linkages Across the Continuum of HIV Services for Key Populations Affected by HIV (LINKAGES), under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program. LINKAGES is implemented by FHI 360 in partnership with Pact, IntraHealth International and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and conducts a range of activities to reduce HIV transmission among key populations (KP) — sex workers, men who have sex with men, transgender persons and people who inject drugs — and improve their enrollment and retention in care and treatment across the HIV cascade. LINKAGES will accelerate the ability of governments, key population leaders, organizations working with key populations, and private-sector providers to plan and implement services that reduce HIV transmission among key populations and their sexual partners and extend the lives of those already living with HIV. The key elements of the FHI 360-led team’s strategic and technical approach are:
- Identifying key populations and locales and comprehensively assessing risk,
- Diagnosing “leaks” and revealing access barriers within the HIV services cascade,
- Scaling up “what works” while innovating to ensure the most strategic use of resources and access to newly emerging technologies,
- Addressing structural barriers and transforming local KP organizations,
- Ensuring interventions are sustainable over the long term, and
- Supporting the mainstreaming of human rights, gender and competency and capacity development.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The LINKAGES Behavior Change and Communications Advisor provides technical oversight and assistance to the project in the areas of social and behavior change communication (SBCC), capacity strengthening, community mobilization, social media strategies and advocacy. The SBCC advisor ensures SBCC efforts are evidence-based, community-driven and contribute to the deliverables in the annual LINKAGES implementation plan. This position is critical for the development of quality and evidence-based approaches for the mobile outreach HIV and STI testing and counselling, referrals, condoms and lubricants distribution, peer outreach and navigation activities for MSM, FSW and TG persons
The SBBC Advisor is responsible for managing communication and social media activities related to the HIV cascade of services, including prevention efforts to improve access to services and products for key populations. The position is responsible for managing technical assistance in communications and social media and ensuring that implementation plans are on schedule and deliverables are achieved on time. The SBBC Advisor will develop mobile communication and social media strategies and work plans with partners, ensuring that new social media technologies are being incorporated into intervention strategies, and that these strategies are effective in connecting key populations to services and improving key behaviors.
The SBCC Advisor will review for quality the local partner peer outreach and navigation approaches, methodologies and materials and will assist in assuring that provision for both HIV positive and negative clients is of the highest quality following government of Cote d’Ivoire (GOCI) protocols and standards. The SBCC advisor will work with the GOCI and other LINKAGES staff on the revision and implementation of the minimum package of services for FSW and MSM as well as the development of training materials for FSW and MSM. The SBBC Advisor will liaise and coordinate with partners and/or other organizations/institutions relevant to LINKAGES communications, social media, and social marketing activities; assemble communications, social media, and social marketing component of Monthly and Quarterly Reports and success stories and perform other relevant duties as assigned.
The position will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. Cote d’Ivoire nationals and candidates currently based in the region are encouraged to apply.
Suitably qualified candidates openly living with HIV and/or who are representative of the key populations affected by HIV are also actively encouraged to apply.
- Provides behavior change, communications, mobilization and advocacy technical assistance to achieve LINKAGES programmatic goals.
- Responsible for the implementation and oversight of mobilization and advocacy technical activities in the LINKAGES work plan.
- Develops innovative strategies using mobile technology to reach and track MSM, FSW and TG persons in HIV prevention, care, treatment and support.
- Provides technical assistance to local organizations regarding the implementation of SBBC strategies.
- Develops social media strategies and campaigns focusing on testing, treatment, care, support and stigma and discrimination for MSM, FSW and TG persons.
- Works with the GOCI and LINKAGES staff to develop curriculums and training materials focusing on MSM, FSW and TG persons.
- Works to implement a key population focus of the PLHIV stigma index.
- Identifies structural barriers to the uptake of HIV service for key population groups and ways to address those structural barriers working with civil society, private businesses and government.
- Works collaboratively with the entire LINKAGES team in Cote d’Ivoire and ensures strong coordination among team partners on the implementation of technical activities.
- Contributes to the achievement of high quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the work plan and Performance Monitoring Plan.
- Contributes to program quality according to FHI 360 standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
- Contributes to the production of timely and accurate technical reports to FHI 360 and USAID as required.
- Coordinates and meets with, as appropriate, USAID, the Ministry of Health, and local and international partners and other stakeholders in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Contributes to work plan activities; ensures appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates partner efforts in program implementation including assisting in the provision of technical assistance to each grant partner for the provision of high quality services; ensure appropriate program monitoring and reporting.
- Contributes to the development of Scopes of Work (SOW), memorandums of understanding (MOUs), technical management of activities for consultants and local institutions partnering with LINKAGES to ensure that activity timeframes and budgets are met and products are reviewed and finalized.
- Reports regularly LINKAGES Senior Technical Advisor/Cote d’Ivoire on progress and status of LINKAGES activities in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Masters level degree in Public Health, Communications or related field or equivalent.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated behavior change communication, mobilization and advocacy key population group technical expertise, with substantial HIV prevention, care, and treatment experience with female sex workers, and/or men who have sex with men, and transgender individuals using mobile technology and implementing communications activities; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated excellence in a technical advisor and leadership position, preferably in an international development context and working with key population groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English.
- Experience with U.S. government rules and regulations and experience working in an international NGO/PVO environment desirable.
- Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is strongly preferred; Cote d’Ivoire experience is a plus.
- Proven skills in the implementation of SBCC driven HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs for female sex workers, and/or men who have sex with men, and transgender persons in Cote d’Ivoire or other countries in the region.
- Knowledge of processes for developing and implementing HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs with key population groups in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Understands the HIV-related needs of key population groups in Cote d’Ivoire, including female sex workers, and/or men who have sex with men, and transgender individuals and have worked to support and implement activities to reduce stigma and discrimination.
- Design, implementation, and management of public health/international development programs funded by USAID.
- Proven skills in mentoring, leadership and networking.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health issues among key populations in Malawi.
- Ability to manage and complete numerous tasks with a high degree of organization and limited resources.
- Experience working with civil society organizations to plan and implement HIV behavior change communication activities including condom and lubricants distribution.
- Experience of proactively identifying risk, addressing issues and appropriately communicating these to the project staff and USAID.
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different organizations and cultures.
- Experience identifying, designing and brokering public-private partnerships.
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality.
- Ability to travel within country or region and internationally if needed.
- Knowledge of PEPFAR programming and reporting preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
- Organization: FHI 360 - Family Health International
- Location: Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2016-03-31