Office Manager - Partnership and Policy
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization which provides assistance and protection to people affected by displacement due to conflict. NRC works in 20 countries with approximately 3,000 staff and specialises in five core competencies: shelter, information counselling and legal assistance, education, food security, and water, hygiene and sanitation.
NRC established an official presence in the GCC by becoming a member of the International Humanitarian City in April 2013, located in Dubai (UAE). The Office includes a team of three – one Director, one Communication and Translation Manager, and one Office Manager.
2. ROLE, TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Office Manager will be responsible for general administration tasks of NRC Gulf including accounting support, procurement, archiving and logistics arrangements.
The Office Manager will report to the Director of NRC Gulf.
Job descriptionTASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Efficient and effective day-to-day running of the NRC Gulf Office (logistics, administration, finance) in accordance with NRC policies/procedures and donor requirements (when applicable).
2. Liaison and interaction with local/regional stakeholders
3. Support to all internal events and initiatives of NRC when occurring in the UAE and the Gulf region.
4. Administration, basic bookkeeping, maintaining and developing the existing filing system.
5. Financial monitoring of expenses and reporting in collaboration with NRC’s Gulf Office finance controller (based in Oslo)
6. Using self-audit tools and NRC internal audit reports, identify gaps in efficient and effective running of the office and propose ways forward to the Gulf Office Director
7. Procurement, stock keeping and management and maintenance of office assets (e.g., furniture, ICT equipment, licenses, leases and contracts with authorities and suppliers…)
8. Responsible for the office vehicle (paperwork, refueling, maintenance, repair, and car washing)
9. Cooperate with local and regional humanitarian actors (UN, NGOs, IOs…) partners and authorities (IHC; MOFA; Dubai Cares; ERC…) as requested by the Gulf Office Director
10. Liaise with the IHC for regular reporting, responding to administrative requests, and providing information as required
11. Liaise with the Norwegian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Norwegian consulate in Dubai
12. Support NRC staff and visitors for training, workshops and seminars held in the UAE, including assessment and tendering of venues
13. Support for staff and visitors during events and missions to the UAE
14. Process work permits, visas and other related permits (IHC, government, embassies…) in collaboration with NRC Head Office and/or other NRC offices.
• Gulf Office Field Controller (Finance Department)
• NRC Administration & HR departments / Head Office
• PnP Department (Oslo and other NRC Representation Offices)
• Secretary General’s Office
• Local Auditors
• Multi-tasking and ability to juggle and prioritise diverse tasks
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
• Ability to take initiative and solve problems
• Proven communication skills, with cultural sensitivity
• Experience in administering basic contact databases
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal, and working knowledge of Arabic would be useful
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
• 3 years of experience in a similar position
• Bachelor degree
- Administration / Organisation / Management
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
Personal qualitiesBEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
• A professional demeanour
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and with limited supervision
• Enthusiastic, highly motivated and able to take initiative
• Comfortable in a multicultural professional and/or NGO environment
• Demonstrable team-working skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and ensure delivery of tasks
• Interest in humanitarian issues a plus
• Flexibility – and it helps if you have a sense of humor
• Some knowledge of diplomatic protocol a plus
• Working knowledge in Arabic