IT Officer- Nilinde Project (Mombasa, Kenya)
Mombasa (Kenya) | Nairobi
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission?
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children's development organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty particularly those who are excluded or marginalized. We deliver high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits and work in partnership with others. Plan's vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations and is an equal opportunity employer. The main purpose of the IT Officer is to support the IT infrastructure setup, configuration, support, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance for the Plan Kenya Nilinde Office in Mombasa. This position will be supported by and work closely with the IT Coordinator (Kwale and Kilifi PUs) with the high level management, coordination and support of the IT Manager.
The IT Officer under the overall supervision of the IT Coordinator will provide first line support for IT infrastructure support – including desktops, servers, telecommunication equipment and networks- and troubleshooting for systems; to ensure uninterrupted IT operations.
Dimensions of Role:
The IT Officer will have a matrix reporting arrangement to the IT Coordinator (technical) and to the Deputy Chief of Party/ OVC Manager-Nilinde Mombasa (Administrative). She/he supports the management of the IT infrastructure and information Security, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of IT systems, hardware and software and related IT infrastructure. The post holder does not directly manage a budget or approve any spending. This position does not have direct reports.
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
- Providing first line support for desktops issues and networks, IT infrastructure support and troubleshooting for systems; to ensure IT operations at designated site(s) continue smoothly. Success indicators are properly installed and maintained IT systems and IT Infrastructure.
- System/Project Rollout, testing and certification to improve accessibility of Plan IT infrastructure to users. Indicator for success is that IT system rollout is smooth and staff members are proficient in using any new systems.
- Ensuring Plan IT policy, procedures and guidelines are implemented effectively. Indicators for success are properly implemented IT procedures and guidelines.
- Ensuring efficient and effective IT Infrastructure to reduce wastage of IT resources and ensure return on investment of IT resources. Indicators for success are IT SLA targets are met.
- Ensuring timely IT disaster recovery to ensure business continuity. Indicator of success is that IT systems uptime is 99%.
- Ensuring adherence to corporate standards, design and architectures. Indicators for success are the proper implementation and use of computers and network devices.
- Completing IT reports.
Dealing with Problems:
Managing a mix of IT technologies; productivity software, Plan IT systems, applications and services, MS Windows server and desktop operating systems, network management and troubleshooting/escalating Internet connectivity issues to ISP.
Creativity is required to find solutions to IT software/hardware conflicts, balancing IT needs of staff with available resources.
Ability to plan, organize and document simple system activities.
Communications and Working Relationships:
The primary linkages for this post:
Deputy Chief of Party/ OVC Manager-Nilinde Mombasa
Country IT Manager
IT Coordinator (Kwale and Kilifi PUs)
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviours, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Educational Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience:
Degree or Diploma in Computer Studies or equivalent with 1-2 years’ experience.
Proven knowledge of and telecommunication technologies.
Systems Administration training in Microsoft technologies (Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, SQL Server, Exchange server) and Cisco technologies) will be an added advantage.
Cumulative 1-2 years Systems Administration experience.
Key Skills specific to the post:
IT technical skills in infrastructure and/or applications
Understanding of Plan’s business processes and strategic objectives
Knowledge of and communication Technologies, Systems Administration, Microsoft technologies( Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, SQL Server, Exchange server), Databases and Cisco technologies
Good communication skills
Versatile and flexible
Creative and innovative
Analytical and logical ability
Physical Environment and Demands:
Work environment includes typical computer related noise levels. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Incumbent maybe on call on call to provide support services during off hours. Moderate lifting will be required.
To apply visit http://plan-international-kenya.org/jobs/ to access the full job description and make an online application if you meet the requirements. The deadline for application is 6th March 2016.