Technical Assistance Advisor
State Guarantee Program for SME Financing in Serbia Business Enabling Project
- Technical Assistance Advisor Total Input - 30 Days over a 3-month period
- On-going Project Start Date - March 1, 2016
- Project End Date – December 31, 2016
Seeking an “Expert in government assistance for SME finance”
Cardno Emerging Markets on behalf of The Serbia Business Enabling Project (BEP) is seeking an Advisor to provide technical assistance to help the Serbian Ministry of Economy (MoE) to expand its support for the financing of SMEs, and to design a new portfolio guarantee program that will help the MoE expand its reach to SMEs.
BEP is a seven-year USAID-funded project to assist the Government of Serbia to strengthen the business environment, fiscal and macroeconomic management, financial market development, and business education throughout the country. Project Component 3, Financial Markets Development, helps Serbian financial markets increase the competitiveness and affordability of financial services, and develop risk management instruments.
USAID BEP has been extensively involved in advocacy to promote the reform of state aid and in helping the GoS to assess and improve its programs for enabling access to finance. BEP has already helped the MoE design and launch successful equipment financing grants scheme on a pilot basis with three banks.
As part of its effort to promote entrepreneurship and develop small business, the Ministry of Economy (MoE) has decided to modernize some of its financing support and to develop, for the first time, a guarantee scheme that will better leverage state funds, mobilize private sector capital, and lower risk to the state.
The primary objectives for this new program will be:
- To expand the reach of MoE support to areas where access to finance is very limited
- Support job creation and entrepreneurship
- Facilitate domestic production and export
- Support innovation
- Encourage banks to expand lending to SMEs.
- Assist the MoE to develop a new portfolio guarantee program for SMEs - The main objective of this task is to help the GoS to develop a guarantee program that will improve access to finance for SMEs. This program needs to be focused on market niches that are under-banked and that will contribute to competitiveness and job creation. The effort will also help the GoS transition from being a direct lender to an indirect lender to help catalyze market driven capital allocation towards SMEs. The consultant with work with banks, business associations, and the MoE to structure a portfolio guarantee scheme, set the terms and conditions of the scheme, and oversee development of technical and operational protocols of implementation.
The Advisor will be periodically expected to submit deliverables including program outlines for each task, presentations to the MoE on program structure, recommendations on administrative policies, and draft narratives for the tender documentation for each. The consultant will provide a 1-2 page final report summarizing all activities.
- 10 years plus experience in financial markets and access to finance issues
The successful applicant will have experience in the design and implementation of SME support schemes, particularly involving elements of access to finance, in the context of state-funded initiatives.
- Previous experience in designing state aid programs (aka government financial assistance programs) that guarantee loans to SMEs
Desired experience includes:
- Designed state aid programs for under-banked segments or sectors of the SME market
- Designed guarantee program that targets small business start-ups.
- Work with governments and/or banks on the structure and terms of loan guaranty schemes
- Prior European experience is an advantage, but not required.
Advanced Degree in Finance or Economics.
Total Input for Technical Assistance Advisor - 30 Days over a 3 month period
Please carefully assess your ability and review the requirements as they relate to this position.
Only Applicants meeting the criteria will be contacted.
Deadline - Application need to be submitted by March 30th, 2016.
Please send the following to: Kathy.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter
- Current CV
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
- Organization: Cardno
- Location: Belgrade
- Grade: Mid level
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Public Administration
- Closing Date: 2016-03-30