Senior Manager, Business Development
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Plan International USA is part of the Plan International Federation, a global organization that works side by side with communities in over 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities for generations to come and range from clean water and health care programs to education projects and child protection initiatives. For more information visit, www.planusa.org.
The Senior Manager for Business Development plays a key role in providing direction and guidance to the institutional business development strategies that support the organization’s strategic mission and new business prospects. The role also manages the costing and budgeting side of proposal development, which includes working with team members and partners to develop budgets and cost submissions under USG, foundations, and multi-laterals.
The position collaborates with internal stakeholders to align the organization’s business development plans with its strategic priorities related to program growth and impact. With team support, the position will work on the full cycle of proposals from prospecting, capture, and bid preparation to the successful submission of the proposal. The position will have experience working with an institutional donor portfolio including USG, foundations and multi-lateral accounts and provides overall direction and guidance for the continuous improvement of new business systems. S/he works closely with Plan’s technical and program staff to ensure high quality winning project designs that use cutting edge approaches to achieve impact and results.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Assists in the coordination of the review of business opportunities, including intelligence gathering, marketing, and effective partnership negotiations.
· Assists in the determination of bid priorities. Plans for allocation of resources for upcoming bids.
· Takes the lead on assigned bids and acts in the capacity of management support of others.
· Facilitates institutional donor identification, targeting relationship cultivation and stewardship in coordination with the Plan international Federation.
· Leads the cost and pricing process for active bids; ensures budgeting in line with donor requirements.
· Develops collaborative partnerships with stakeholders involved in the submission of bids; builds and nurtures associated relationships with internal team members, international staff at HQ and country levels.
· As assigned, supervises full bid management process including the oversight to bid teaming strategies, positioning within bid teams, and proposal quality and responsiveness.
· Networks with business development professionals in peer organizations to build capacity and to enhance partnering opportunities.
· Develops and reviews budget and budget note templates/ updates existing templates as needed.
· Works with proposal partners to complete cost requirements.
· Responds to periodic requests for assistance from individual Country Offices after winning a bid to assist with budget training for finance and grant management purposes.
· Travel to Plan Country Offices located in Africa, Asia and Latin America/Caribbean to collaborate with country staff on proposal development, where necessary and appropriate.
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed/assigned.
Our Offer to you
Plan is a child-centered community development organization working with communities in over 50 countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. We invite our staff to embrace Plan’s mission, working in partnership with management, peers, donors, and other supporters in an effort to make lasting change for children and families around the world.
We aspire to five core values that help us define our culture and to inform our business decisions: Accountability, Passion, Integrity, Respect, and Excellence - AsPIRE.** Plan expects all staff to exhibit and embrace these values in every part of their work lives.
We are committed to adhering to Plan’s Child Protection Standards and protecting the wellbeing of children in any situation that may arise. The protection of children is everyone’s responsibility.
Plan offers opportunities for growth and development through internal and external training opportunities. We value the ideas and opinions of staff at any level and provide forums in which those can be shared with others.
Plan is an equal opportunity employer and follows all laws associated with the EEOC.
- Experience with and knowledge of USAID/USG and other institutions’ grant making initiatives, policies, procedures, grants management processes, and regulations.
· Experience with multi-lateral and/or foundation prospecting and capture a plus.
· Proven budgeting skills including developing cost proposals in excess of $10 million.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· In-depth knowledge of use of database, spreadsheet (Excel), word processing (Word), and presentation (PowerPoint) software.
· Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet hard deadlines.
· A passion for Plan’s mission and the commitment to doing great work on behalf of our constituents
Education and Experience
· BA/BS in Business, International Development, Finance, or related field required. MA or equivalent field experience preferred.
· 7+ years’ experience of relevant professional experience in new business development.
· Specific training in USAID regulations, budgeting/pricing, and/or budget management for USAID projects required.
· Ability to travel 25% annually.
· Must be eligible to work in the US.
Physical Demands Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Plan seeks to fill this position as quickly as possible. Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via our website: www.planusa.org/jobopps*.*
- Organization: Plan - USA
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2016-05-06