Medford MA | Washington D.C.
Write thought leadership pieces for media, blogs, website for CEO and other technical leaders as well as author own pieces; develop relationships with thought leaders and media and pitch stories to media.
Write opinion pieces, blogs and other thought leadership pieces (60%)
- Develop key themes and topics for opinion pieces and blogs in conjunction with CEO, VPs, Technical Leads, Sr. Director of Innovation, and Sr. Director, Strategic Communications relating to our global health priorities such as health systems strengthening, epidemic prevention, and maternal and child health.
- Draft opinion editorials and short essays. Working with VPs and others, conduct related research for proof points and evidence for newspapers, journals, and blogs providing positions on global health practices.
- Read and track articles from other influential global health organizations to gain insight on trends in the media and to help assess MSH’s competitive landscape.
- Implement and contribute to a thought leadership strategic plan in order to position MSH as a leader in global health systems strengthening, UHC, maternal and child health, and epidemic preparedness.
Pitch stories and develop relationships with media and online influencers (30%)
- Draft press releases in coordination with Sr. Director, Strategic Communications.
- Contribute to communications, brand plan, and editorial calendar development.
- Pitch stories about MSH’s global health results and innovations to national and international media.
- Assist countries and country reps in garnering media attention.
- Monitor trends in major media and forums.
- Manage press events in coordination with the Marketing and Events Specialist.
Assist with writing of high level marketing pieces (10%)
- Work with VP, GPMC and Sr. Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations to develop key concept notes, cases or short papers to support marketing and positioning with private sector donors.
- Provide writing support to CEO and other MSH thought leaders for submissions to media and blogs.
- A postgraduate degree in a field of study closely related to the assigned responsibilities.
- 7 years related experience preferably in communications with focus on global health issues.
- A postgraduate degree in Public Health highly preferred.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in Public Health.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent conceptual, writing and analytic skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with an emphasis on influencing and persuading others.
- Demonstrate experience pitching stories to the press/media.
- Can write and speak persuasively and set MSH apart.
- Thinks outside the box to help MSH “stand out”.
- Specialized knowledge in the field of global public health with ability to think strategically in positioning MSH as a leader;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and work independently and on teams;
- Initiate and organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Produce pieces in a timely manner; ability to ghostwrite for others without proprietorship of authorship;
- English fluency.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.
- Travel 10%.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Senior Director, Strategic Communications
Visit the MSH website to APPLY!
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Medford MA | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: 2016-04-07