Project Officer (HBMM, Cross Border Coordination)
Kambia | Freetown
Position Title : Project Officer (HBMM, Cross Border Coordination)
Duty Station : Kambia, Sierra Leone
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 March 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Israel, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua
New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland,
Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office in Sierra Leone, guidance from the Sierra
Leone Program Manager, and the direct supervision of the Health, Border and Mobility
Management (HBMM) Project Manager and Senior Public Health Coordinator, the successful
candidate will be accountable and responsible for overseeing all aspects of the HBMM project
cross-border and liaison activities with a focus on public health risks mapping, cross-border
disease surveillance, and public health emergency preparedness. S/he will also be supporting
the HBMM Project Manager and Senior Public Health Coordinator in the planning, coordination,
and implementation and monitoring of all IOM Sierra Leone HBMM activities. Furthermore, s/he
will be responsible for all field monitoring and evaluation aspects of the project’s cross-border
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Participate in the identification of key border areas for public health risks and population
mobility mapping with national and local public health and border stakeholders, in close
coordination with HBMM personnel on the Liberian/ Guinean side;
- In coordination with the HBMM Project Manager, implement consultations with DHMT and local WHO offices at border areas on the integration of population mobility information into
routine surveillance and public health preparedness and response plans.
- Implement consultations and workshops for the development of monitoring and evaluation
plans for cross-border surveillance, as well as the establishment of cross-border coordination
groups with stakeholders on the Liberian/ Guinean side.
- In coordination with the HBMM Project Manager, the Senior Public Health Coordinator and
HBMM personnel on the Liberian/Guinean side, conduct comprehensive monitoring and
evaluation of cross-border activities for the entire project.
- Represent IOM at the District Cross Border Coordination meeting
- Facilitate the communication among district border stakeholders, from both sides of the
- Timely share updated cross border information to all stakeholders from both sides of the
- Develop and oversee and effective monitoring and evaluation system with regular reporting
updates (formal and informal reports) to IOM senior management, Sierra Leone Government
partners and US CDC.
- Facilitate the timely recruitment and training of national and international contractors and
consultants for cross-border activities in accordance with IOM's policies and procedures and in
coordination with HBMM personnel on the Liberian/ Guinean side.
- Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, policy and technical
working groups, as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination and presentation of
- Undertake duty travel, in line with prevailing security restrictions, related to project
assessments, liaison with counterparts, and project implementation, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Political or Social Studies or a related field
from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Command of public health management methodologies, from both operational and policy
perspectives, the International Health Regulations (requirements and applications); crisis and
risk management (preparation and mitigation) would be an advantage;
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration, monitoring and evaluation techniques
• Ability to understand and interpret international legislation related to the health sector;
• Excellent level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Sierra Leone local language or West African local dialects is an advantage.
- This position will require the successful candidate to be based at the IOM office in Kambia,
with frequent travel to border areas and other districts to oversee technical aspects of HBMM
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
This position will require the successful candidate to be based at the IOM office in Kambia, with
frequent travel to border areas and other districts to oversee technical aspects of HBMM
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 20 March 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 07.03.2016 to 20.03.2016
Requisition: SVN 2016/28 (P) - Project Officer(HBMMCrossBorderCoord)(P2)-Kambia,SierraLeone
Posting: Posting NC54757458 (54757458) Released
Posting Channel: Internal Candidates
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Kambia | Freetown
- Grade: Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Border and Customs
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date: 2016-03-20