Consultancy: Project Review on the Child-Friendly Media
The Communication Section, UNICEF Thailand Country Office is seeking an individual consultant to conduct a review on the implementation and outcomes of the child-friendly media project (Child Rights Sensitization Workshops for Media and Journalism Students).
The media in Thailand plays a crucial role in reporting on violations of the rights of children and in promoting an understanding of issues facing children among general public. A large number of media practitioners, however, were perceived to be lacking in knowledge, understanding and appreciation of child rights. Child rights violations and insensitive reporting on children remain widespread in the media. This serves to not only mislead the public, but also has a long-term impact on the lives of children and young people who are in the news.
In 2004, UNICEF supported the Press Development Institute of Thailand (PDIT), currently known as Isra Institute, a not-for-profit organization whose responsibility is to strengthen capacity for Thai journalists in reporting skills and ethical news reporting, to organize training on child rights and ethical reporting for professional media, academia and journalism students. The training was aimed at promoting knowledge and understanding on children’s rights and ethical reporting on children among the Thai media. In addition to the training, UNICEF also supported Isra Institute to organize the annual Child Rights Media Awards for best media reports on children. The event, took place around International Children’s Day in November, was aimed at encouraging reporters to produce more quality and ethical reporting on children.
The training for professional media and journalism students as well as the Child Rights Media Award event has continued since 2004 until present.
The purpose of this assignment is to review the implementation and outcomes of the child-friendly media project from 2013 to 2015. Findings of the review and recommendations will be used by UNICEF and Isra Institute to shape strategies and actions for 2016 and for UNICEF new cycle programme of 2017-2021, especially on what improvements should be made in order to bring the good results in efficient and effective manner.
Final report of the findings and recommendations must be submitted in written document in Thai.
Under the supervision of Senior Communication Assistant, the consultant will work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and perform the following tasks:
- Draft a conceptual framework for the project review with inputs from UNICEF
- Present the draft conceptual framework and draft contents of the report to UNICEF for review, revision and final adoption
- Develop methods and tools including questionnaires and interviews or other necessary tools for the project review, share with UNICEF for review, revision and final adoption
- Conduct the project review based on the tools developed and agreed upon
- Prepare a draft version of the report and share with UNICEF for review and revision
- Present a draft version of the report through a presentation with UNICEF
- Prepare the final report and submit to UNICEF
A report of the findings and recommendations in written document in Thai.
The payment will be made based upon submission of satisfactory deliverables and completion of the agreed outcomes:
- Submission of conceptual framework and tools
- Submission of final report of the findings and recommendations in written document in Thai
Estimated Duration of Contract: 40 working days between 1 April – 31 July 2016**
Official Travel: A one-day trip for one school visit at a province near Bangkok.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- A Thai national
- A higher-level university degree in Journalism, Social Sciences, or similar background
- 5 years of working experience in analysis of media and/or social issues
- Knowledge of and working experience in UNICEF or other relevant UN-agency an advantage
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P11, full contact information of minimum 2 references, availability, and proposed daily professional fee in THB by 24:00 hrs. Bangkok time, 24 March 2016 to email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Social studies
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Closing Date: 2016-03-24