Technical Officer, Community-based family planning
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor, Community-based family planning
The provision of contraception to women seeking to forgo or delay childbearing is a key strategy to reduce maternal, child, and newborn mortality**.** Community-based family planning (CBFP) and the integration in contraceptive services into maternal and child health and non-health programs is critical to expanding access to contraception. Complications of pregnancy and child birth are the leading cause of death among adolescents in low and middle income countries, make this group a priority for these efforts.
The primary responsibility of this position is to advance FHI 360 CBFP and FP integration portfolio by: 1) providing technical assistance to Ministries of Health, collaborative agencies with in-country implementers in low and middle income countries ; 2) conducting in-country assessments to determine programmatic and research needs; 3) drafting/reviewing/ updating technical guidance documents including service delivery guidelines, job aids, and curricula; 4) preparing for and facilitating workshops 5) synthesizing programmatic experiences and assessment results, presenting at domestic and global conferences and publishing manuscripts as appropriate 5) providing global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, program developments, and new research findings; 6) coordinating work with implementers and funders at the global, regional, and local level: and 7) participating in proposal development efforts and protocol development of new research studies.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical component and/or program wide activities.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of specific technical components of programs.
- Participate in resource development activities.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues.
- Master’s degree or its international equivalent in Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in management of large projects and/or programs.
- In-depth knowledge of family planning and community-based programs.
- Knowledge of other reproductive health topics, including maternal and newborn health, HIV, reproductive health, malaria, and tuberculosis. Youth expertise, desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders.
- Has ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Positive attitude and can communicate with staff and clients in an articulate and professional manner.
- Excellent analytic and problem solving skills.
- French language fluency is required.
- Needs minimal supervision, can manage high volume work flow.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Social studies
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Civil Society
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Closing Date: 2016-04-30