Regional Media Manager - WCA
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 12 months
The Media Manager role is a key management position meant to ensure that quality and timely media are produced for media organisations and other partners, and Save the Children, and to ensure visibility of Save the Children's brand. Central to achieving this would be to oversee a media strategy to highlight our emergency response in developing situations. A key part of the role, involving fifty per cent of the remit, will be to provide written/multi-media content to be shared with Save the Children's country offices around the world. This will be achieved by regular coordination and liaison with the Global Media Unit based in London. You will be expected to demonstrate initiative and be a self-starter who will generate ideas and drive content forward, providing compelling case studies, images and video, as well as spotting strong news lines and writing engaging headlines.
The Regional Media Manager will act as a key focal point for all media requests from members. When necessary, this post-holder may act as a Save spokesperson.
In addition to the above, the post holder will also be expected to build up the country's brand in-country, namely through national and regional media.
The role will be based in Dakar, Senegal, but travel within the region will be a regular part of the responsibilities including providing additional support to regional and country offices.
Fundamental to the job is the ability to gather, consolidate, analyse and share information in a way that is easily understood by news organisations, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications and experience
- At least five years' experience as a journalist in a credible news organisation OR equivalent experience as a Media & Communications Manager in an international humanitarian or development agency, and experience of dealing in the international media environment
- Significant experience of working overseas in humanitarian programmes
- University degree in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
- Experience of leading Media activities in a challenging environment and a good knowledge of the West & Central African media scene, networks, and media contacts etc.
- Fluent in at least French and English
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills in both French and English producing materials for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the 'general public'
- Experience of effective spokesperson across a range of media
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to produce compelling media products such as press releases, key messages/speaking points and Q&As
- The ability to digest complex information, quickly, and express this crisply and clearly
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work for limited periods within programmes under pressure of running emergency responses
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity building activities to varied audiences, ideally within a country programme.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word
- Excellent understanding of media and campaigning activities
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus, and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in the region
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English or French using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: 'Fsy.email@example.com'
- Organization: Save the Children
- Location: Dakar
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-03-27